Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: What features will the new high-end Kindle have?
Liquavista (colour) display 30 26.55%
Liquavista (greyscale) display 21 18.58%
Physical page turn buttons 50 44.25%
Bigger than 6" screen 52 46.02%
More than 300ppi resolution 30 26.55%
Waterproof 61 53.98%
Solar-power option 39 34.51%
Non-shatter (plastic/metal) screen substrate 24 21.24%
Speakers and/or Microphone 32 28.32%
Text-to-Speech 42 37.17%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-06-2016, 06:01 AM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
What features will the new high-end Kindle have?

Let's have fun before the announcement!

Vote for the features you think the new high-end Kindle will have!

Poll closes in five days - intended to be before the announcement.
Poll is multiple-choice and public.

Last edited by pdurrant; 04-06-2016 at 06:06 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 06:21 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What fun

I've voted for:

Bigger than 6"
Waterproof
Solar power
Speakers
TTS

I really don't think it's going to be Liquavista, but I'd love to be wrong about that!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2016, 07:19 AM   #3
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Hmm, I just voted for what it'll have to have for me to buy it...

I think what it'll have though, is

More than 300ppi resolution
Text-to-Speech

and maybe

Physical page turn buttons

In short, almost nothing new, just lighter and a higher pixel count (I presume the current Kindles all have TTS)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:28 AM   #4
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
I voted for waterproof and text to speech. From the WSJ report it seems physical page turn buttons may be likely, so I voted for that too.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:40 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I presume the current Kindles all have TTS
No, they don't. That's precisely why some people are saying they'd like to have it .

The LCD "Fire" tablets have TTS, but eInk Kindles don't. They used to, but it was removed some years ago.

Quote:
More than 300ppi resolution
I really don't see the need for this myself. Once you can no longer see the pixels, does it really matter how many there are? I can (just about) see traces of pixels on the 210ppi PW2, but I see no trace of them at all on the 300ppi Voyage.

Last edited by HarryT; 04-06-2016 at 07:42 AM.
Advert
Old 04-06-2016, 07:50 AM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm voting with my heart, and going for Liquavista colour. And page turn buttons, and waterproof.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:57 AM   #7
oblox
Zealot
oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (7th Gen)
Waterproof would be my biggest want, solar power would be a nice gimmick but im not sure how practical it'd be. Oh and more storage either internally or via microSD would be a lovely bonus.
oblox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:59 AM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I really don't see the need for this myself. Once you can no longer see the pixels, does it really matter how many there are? I can (just about) see traces of pixels on the 210ppi PW2, but I see no trace of them at all on the 300ppi Voyage.
I agree, actually. 300ppi is better than high-end magazine printed resolution. But then, the iPhone has 400+dpi
Old 04-06-2016, 08:00 AM   #9
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus, Kindle Oasis 2
I just voted for the thing I'd most like to see...a larger screen.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:01 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

And more pixels mean slower screen refreshes using more power.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:06 AM   #11
roninmedia
Enthusiast
roninmedia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roninmedia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roninmedia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roninmedia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roninmedia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roninmedia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roninmedia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roninmedia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roninmedia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roninmedia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roninmedia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2
I want larger than a 6" screen and a slot for a SD card. A long shot and an even longer shot.
roninmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:13 AM   #12
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus, Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by roninmedia View Post
I want larger than a 6" screen and a slot for a SD card. A long shot and an even longer shot.
Oh, I'd like that too. Throw in waterproof and it would be an Amazon version of my Kobo H20. That'd be fine with me....but, yes, a looong shot.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:23 AM   #13
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by roninmedia View Post
and a slot for a SD card.
Such a long shot, I didn't even think to include it in the poll!
Old 04-06-2016, 08:45 AM   #14
thekha
thekha began at the beginning.

Device: KPW3 2015
i want customizable touch area
thekha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:30 AM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I want a "non-shatter (plastic/metal) screen substrate".
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote