Notices

Old 05-19-2014, 11:25 PM   #16
JayKindle
Connoisseur
JayKindle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorfindel
Do you really need it to stop calibre? Because if not you could just have calibre started at login and not get news until whatever time you want.
Yes, because with my experience in the past, calibre will eat memory just on standby. In my situation, calibre will have to be running 24/7, which will result into memory problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT
I believe the issue is a change in design between Windows XP and subsequent versions affecting interactions between tasks and the desktop.
Hmm, I just tried to set it so it treats this program like WinXP, but the problem still exists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorfindel
Works just fine on my Win7 Home Premium 64bit
Can you share your settings? Can you take a screenshot of each window property in the task schedule for this entry? And how did you run the schedule?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz
Perhaps you could try the command-line version of fetch news? Write a batch file to process each recipe you need.

Fetch News uses the ebook-convert executable, interestingly. You can feed it the .recipe format as the input file.
If that is what I will end up doing, can you help me write up this batch file?
JayKindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:29 PM   #17
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKindle View Post
Quote:
I believe the issue is a change in design between Windows XP and subsequent versions affecting interactions between tasks and the desktop.
Hmm, I just tried to set it so it treats this program like WinXP, but the problem still exists.
Maybe a better choice of words by me would have been ARCHITECTURE, in that the underlying architecture of Windows was changed and that saying "run as in XP" can NOT override those design choices.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2014, 11:42 PM   #18
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
If that is what I will end up doing, can you help me write up this batch file?
Sure.

I know quite a bit about writing linux shell scripts, so I'd just have to familiarize myself with Windows syntax, since I never messed around with Windows the same way. Should be easy, they're pretty similar I believe.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 04:41 AM   #19
JayKindle
Connoisseur

Good news!

Calibe does run when scheduled. It seems that I had to enable a button in Windows Task Manager to Show processes from all users, when I did this, I saw calibre.exe running from a schedule run.

Now here is something odd:

For some reason the calibre app does not appear on my desktop running nor on the tray bar or quick bar. It seems to be hidden.

I currently don't have the option to have it run on the traybar, so I don't now what the hell? I guess the normal setup of running Calibre without any options will make it run in the background and hidden?

Is this normal? Or is this a new default feature when running apps with the Task Schedule in Win 7?

P.S. it seems you guys fixed the issue when getting an email update, it now links to the forum and not the mobile/mobi theme?

Quick update:
the schedule for calibre must run with this feature enabled: Run with highest privileges. Or else it will not run.

Last edited by JayKindle; 05-20-2014 at 04:46 AM.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:00 AM   #20
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Calibe does run when scheduled. It seems that I had to enable a button in Windows Task Manager to Show processes from all users, when I did this, I saw calibre.exe running from a schedule run.

Now here is something odd:

For some reason the calibre app does not appear on my desktop running nor on the tray bar or quick bar. It seems to be hidden.
Just a guess, but since you had to show processes from all users it would seem Calibre is not running under your login so you wouldn't see it in the system tray.

Quote:
Is this normal? Or is this a new default feature when running apps with the Task Schedule in Win 7?
Again I'm guessing, but this must be a side effect of how you are running it, because it is not a feature of calibre.

Quote:
P.S. it seems you guys fixed the issue when getting an email update, it now links to the forum and not the mobile/mobi theme?
This is not a forum glitch that requires fixing. It seems to depend on how the thread was started or possibly how the last person posted to that thread. I occasionally get the thread email update for the .mobi instead of .com url. I simply change the .mobi to .com and go about my business.

Quote:
Quick update:
the schedule for calibre must run with this feature enabled: Run with highest privileges. Or else it will not run.
Thanks for the update.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2014, 06:11 AM   #21
JayKindle
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Just a guess, but since you had to show processes from all users it would seem Calibre is not running under your login so you wouldn't see it in the system tray.
I only have one user on this account. Not even the guest is active. When creating the schedule, I see my user account name on it. And in the session for the task manager, it has my user account next to it.

Quote:
Again I'm guessing, but this must be a side effect of how you are running it, because it is not a feature of calibre.
Come again? Please clarify.

Quote:
This is not a forum glitch that requires fixing. It seems to depend on how the thread was started or possibly how the last person posted to that thread. I occasionally get the thread email update for the .mobi instead of .com url. I simply change the .mobi to .com and go about my business.
Since I started this thread on a PC. Then it might be that others replied above with a mobile or ipad? But I still think it's a forum bug. Please consult with your forum devs or the webmaster or admin of the site.

Quote:
Thanks for the update.
no problem.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:31 AM   #22
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I only have one user on this account. Not even the guest is active. When creating the schedule, I see my user account name on it. And in the session for the task manager, it has my user account next to it.
Odd, why would you have to click see processes from all users if it is running under your user and not system.

Quote:
Since I started this thread on a PC. Then it might be that others replied above with a mobile or ipad? But I still think it's a forum bug. Please consult with your forum devs or the webmaster or admin of the site.
You'll have to bring this up in the feedback forum.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:50 AM   #23
JayKindle
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Odd, why would you have to click see processes from all users if it is running under your user and not system.
Yes, I also find this bizarre.

Maybe because I am using Windows 7 Starter version?
Old 05-20-2014, 08:53 AM   #24
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
@JayKindle: That would be me I was online using my kindle.
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:55 AM   #25
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So I guess you don't need the screenshots?
Old 05-20-2014, 09:08 AM   #26
JayKindle
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorfindel View Post
@JayKindle: That would be me I was online using my kindle.
Yes, it was you. The last post you made in this thread caused me to get a link to the *.mobi version. (see screenshot)

I still think this is a bug if the forum. It's like a language feature. The end user should receive the notification according to their setting.

Quote:
So I guess you don't need the screenshots?
If you have time, go for it. Might be useful to someone else... At the same time, I will also compare it to mine.

One question for you? When you run calibre in a task schedule in Win 7? Does it run hidden?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard02.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	123171  

Last edited by JayKindle; 05-20-2014 at 09:15 AM.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:23 AM   #27
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf

No it does not.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:33 AM   #28
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf

How about an xml of the task?
Attached Files
File Type: xml calibre.xml (3.0 KB, 510 views)
Old 05-21-2014, 11:33 AM   #29
JayKindle
Connoisseur

UPDATE:

Still not out of the woods.

Today at 5:58 AM I had scheduled for Calibre to run, so it can start fetching News Feeds at 6:00am.

I set it to shut down after if it runs for more than 2 hrs. It usually takes no longer than 20 minutes to fetch the news, and then send them to my kindle's email address, so my unit can later download them.

Well, I did get successfully my news feeds on my kindle this morning. Went to check the PC after 8 am to see if calibre wasn't running anymore in Task Manager. It still was. Both calibre.exe and calibre-parallel.exe were running in Task Manager. I guess in idle, since it had finished completing the task, since I did get the only two news feeds I schedule for Wednesday to fetch.

I even put another schedule task session for calibre to shutdown, in case it wouldn't. I had programmed it to run at 7:00 a.m. The code is:

Code:
"C:\Program Files\Calibre2\calibre.exe" -s
Or should I also run a schedule task for calibre-parallel.exe to also shut down?

Code:
"C:\Program Files\Calibre2\calibre-parallel.exe" -s
So my question is how can I make sure calibre will shut down after an hour has passed? Anyone?

I still have the odd issue that Calibre runs hidden during the schedule task.

I did compare Glorfindel's xml file and mine, and the only major difference is that he is running Windows 7 (x86) and I am running Windows 7 Starter.

Hopefully the developer of Calibre can take a closer look into this problem. Or perhaps program calibre to be able to turn on and turn off, to compliment the news fetch feature for those like me that don't wish to have the app running 24/7.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:48 AM   #30
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf

How much ram does calibre end up using? How much do you have?

Tags
calibre, task schedule, windows 7