Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-31-2010, 02:18 PM   #1
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Tailored pricing on the Internet

An interesting article about how online shops use cookies to adjust prices to the individual.

http://www.ajc.com/news/spotlight-in...te-286815.html

Quote:
But many consumers don’t realize tailored pricing has hit a new level in cyberspace. Retailers are finding stealthier ways — through cookies that track ZIP codes, shopping habits and even how long we take to buy — to profile who can pay more, or less, for their products.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 03:25 PM   #2
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
Where's my "enraged-fist-shake" emoticon?
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2010, 03:35 PM   #3
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
An interesting article about how online shops use cookies to adjust prices to the individual.

http://www.ajc.com/news/spotlight-in...te-286815.html
This is very annoying. I notice it a couple of years ago when I got different prices on a flight depending on if I searched from work or from home.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 03:59 PM   #4
asjogren
Addict
asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle & WiFi Nook & PocketBook IQ
How do I setup a "fake" so that I fool them into the best price?

Information is power - bidirectionally.
asjogren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 04:18 PM   #5
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by asjogren View Post
How do I setup a "fake" so that I fool them into the best price?

Information is power - bidirectionally.
That would be interesting information for sure. If I vistit bestbuy, then Apple, then B&N it would be nice if the Amazon prices were cheaper

I always wondered about those 'insert your postcode' offers - what did they use the postcode for. I guess a rich area postcode gets tied to the IP address and that information sold to others.

I went to a hardware site the other day and had to enter my postcode before entering the site - very annoying.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2010, 04:24 PM   #6
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
In the retail company at which I used to work, the two main purposes of customer info were a)to determine which areas provided the most bang-for-buck for advertising (flyers, radio, etc) and b)to figure out who their actual customers were to better select products to have in selected stores (i.e., if one store has more 20-30 year old mothers, they'll start targeting them more with certain new products).
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote