Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 10-02-2006, 10:35 AM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
By 2008, UMPC processors will shrink and use 1/10th power

Intel has mapped out the expected progress for the processor chips for UMPC computers, and for consumers it looks like great news. Power consumption will dramatically improve. That's directly translatable into better battery life. Chip size should help allow better form factors.

Here's what Intel's roadmap is predicting...
2006: 5W power consumption
2007: 2.5W power; 1/4th the size
2008: 0.5W power; 1/10th the size

Elsewhere, I remember hearing that improvements will also make it more practical to include integrated keyboards. Throw in a little better screen resolution and some lower prices and they may become irresistable! They might even give the new generation of e-ink e-book readers a run for their money with those that want backlights, or just don't need a nice paper-like display.

From Anandtech via Origami Portal.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:00 AM   #2
segatang
Connoisseur
segatang has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kolin i-library
2008... Too far...
But lower power consuming is good.
Advert
Old 10-02-2006, 11:11 AM   #3
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Everyone needs a nice paperlike display, it just has to be faster and in color and with more contrast.

Well, i can wait till 2008 with what i got now

And by then we might have those fast recharging batteries aswell.

Last edited by tribble; 10-02-2006 at 11:15 AM.