Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 05-09-2006, 10:25 PM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Sprint Treo 700p to be released on May 28!

The long awaited Treo 700p from Sprint is coming May 28. The release date is confirmed by both rumor and "The Sprint Retail Sales Playbook," according to TreoCentral Forums and GadgetsOnTheGo.

According to our previous article this model is rumored to have:

* EVDO (high speed data connectivity)
* Pocket Tunes (as opposed to Real Player on the 650)
* Sprint TV
* Documents to Go version 8
* Blazer 4.5 in ROM
* 62.8M of free space for programs
* 320x320 display
* PalmOS Garnet 5.4.9
* Camera with 1280x1024 resolution
* A much faster user interface than on the Treo 650

I'm hoping to have one of these in my pocket soon with a nice high speed data plan if every thing pans out. With the money that I'll be removing for the purchase, there should be plenty of room!

Related thread: Sprint Palm Treo 700p sighted again.

Thanks to Jimmie Geddes for the tip!
Old 05-10-2006, 02:09 AM   #2
Chaos
Evangelist
Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Assorted older devices
Looks nice for anyone who likes PDA/phone combos. Seems to be a nice step up from the 650, overall. More space, updated programs, higher resolution camera, presumably a faster processor, etc.

Not my thing personally, however. I don't really use a phone that much - a perfect phone for me would have two things: ability to place calls, and uncrippled Bluetooth. No camera, no games, no web ability even - but maybe text messaging. Maybe.
Advert
Old 05-10-2006, 10:27 AM   #3
timnicholson
timnicholson began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell
I'm hoping to have one of these in my pocket soon with a nice high speed data plan if every thing pans out.
High-speed from Sprint? Good luck with that! They claim to be high-speed, but that's theoretical maximum speeds they are talking about. In my experience the Sprint data network is painfully slow. Of course, so is Cingular's. Or are you saying that Sprint is also now coming out with EV-DO speeds? Are they truly *significantly* faster in actual use?

Last edited by timnicholson; 05-10-2006 at 10:37 AM.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:08 PM   #4
Jimmie Geddes
Enthusiast
Jimmie Geddes began at the beginning.

Device: Sprint Treo 650
I saw a screenshot of the 700p's mobilespeed test 306.1 kbps, that's pretty fast if you ask me.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:13 PM   #5
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I don't know how well the sprint network performs, but if they give me reasonable prices, I'll take whatever I can get.
Advert
Old 05-10-2006, 12:28 PM   #6
Jimmie Geddes
Enthusiast
Jimmie Geddes began at the beginning.

Device: Sprint Treo 650
Bob, trust me. I was a Verizon, Cingular, and now a Sprint customer. You will be very happy with Sprint. Sprint also uses Verizon's towers so the network is great. Their data plan can't be beat $15 unlimited EV-DO is reason enough to switch. Bob, go for it.