Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 12-03-2005, 11:48 AM   #1
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Defrag for Pocket PC coming to you soon

Techworld who had a word with a Microsoft representative reports that fragmentation could also become an issue for handheld computers:

If most files are written sequentially what happens when earlier files are deleted and then a new files written? There will be 'holes' throughout the file system which new files will be spread across, thus fragmenting them... Microsoft says its measures will 'reduce any kind of fragmentation.' It doesn't say it will get rid of it. So, over time, the file system in a mobile device's hard drive will become fragmented and, by extension, its performance in finding and assembling files from its storage system will deteriorate.

Which leaves me to wonder: How many Pocket PCs out there are equipped with a hard drive?
Old 12-05-2005, 05:09 PM   #2
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Many third party utilities already allow defragging of memory cards (I use Storagetools which has this feature). I must admit though, I've never bothered to use it, preferring to back the contents of the card up to a ahrd drive and reformat the card instead.

I wonder what others do? Anyone??
Advert
Old 12-06-2005, 02:51 AM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I wouldn't bother defragging Flash-memory, in fact I've heard scary stories (e.g. losing data) from people defragging their flash memory with a Pocket PC tool like Pocket Mechanic.