Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 11-15-2005, 09:05 PM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Run Linux on a Palm Tungsten E

These days it seems that Linux is busting out all over. And to my surprise I've just discovered that one of the places you can run Linux is the Palm Tungsten E! "Why should you run Linux on your Palm?...

* There's a lot of software for the PalmOS. But there's way more for Linux. Plus most Linux softwares are Open-Source : as a end-user, it means free. Running Linux on your Tungsten will let you use an IRC client, use a music player (MP3, Ogg, WMA, etc...), play videos, browse the web (with a full-featured, standard-compliant browser), use powerfull office tools (spreadsheet and typesetter).

* You'll gain access to a much more powerfull operating system (which, for example, uses protected memory, real multitasking, real filesystems, etc...)

* GNU/Linux is an Open-Source Operating System. That mean you can customize the way your Palm will run.

* GNU/Linux is actively maintained. The PalmOS also is, but newer releases are only made available to more recent PDAs. Since Linux will sit in the RAM, you can keep an up-to-date OS.

* Finally, you might just give it a try for fun :-)"

You will lose all your data, of course, so proceed with caution. This is not for the feint of heart. Fortunately for cowards like me, this OS surgery will become unnecessary when PalmSource/Access provides a commercial PalmOS for Linux.

Look here for the sourceforge project page with full instructions.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:53 PM   #2
Chaos
Evangelist
Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Assorted older devices
DANGER WILL ROBINSON, DANGER!

This port is not complete, doesn't actually provide any sort of GUI, nor anything beyond just having the Linux kernel boot on it (just incase you got the wrong impression). Also as noted multiple places by the instructions, it will wipe all your data.

As such, unless you *really* want to see the Linux kernel boot on your TE, I advise just not trying this yet. Wait until it actually works (with a GUI, or at least an input method), wait for an actual Palm Linux release, or go buy a Zaurus...

Other than that... Have fun with... The Linux kernel, I suppose.
Advert
Old 11-16-2005, 05:02 AM   #3
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Hmm if I had a Tungsten E, I'd definitely give it a try. Who needs a gui with Linux, anyways?
Old 11-16-2005, 07:37 AM   #4
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
Quote:
(with a GUI, or at least an input method)
But if you have no input method, you ain't got much. I'll be very curious to watch this development, but I wouldn't jump ship on my T|E until I'm guaranteed an ebook reader!