Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 04-24-2005, 02:03 PM   #1
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Intel's car entertainment system goes mobile

Now that DVD players are common in cars, are personal computers next? According to Bob Keefe from the NYT, Intel has a prototype mini computer (with the size of a "hardcover novel") that folds down from a vehicle's ceiling allowing back-seat passengers to watch DVDs, play video games, listen to digital music and wirelessly surf the Internet. What makes Intel's invention attractive is that you can also detach the PC and use it inside and outside the car.

Phil Magney, president of Telematics Research Group Inc., predicts that in-car computers could become common within the next five years. That would match the growth curve of car DVD players, now installed in more than 3 million vehicles worldwide, according to the research company. "Any embedded entertainment system five years from now will likely have a hard drive, a wireless receiver and WiFi" wireless Internet connectivity, Magney said. "That's where all these systems are headed."

It's easy to appreciate how this technology could enhance your lifestyle whether for business, pleasure or both. Soon, you won't need to leave the benefits of WiFi at home or the office. There will be no more excuses for not answering your e-mails.
Old 06-16-2005, 05:29 AM   #2
Mobile-Heaven
al things mobilebay.co.uk
Mobile-Heaven began at the beginning.

Device: Motorola A1000
I have seen PC technology such as this in the UK, audi 80 with a 17 inch tft monitor running xp all in a car cruise in manchester turned some heads, also aided the cars ICE. This proves people are serious about pc's in cars, when Intel's getting in on the action.
Advert
Old 06-16-2005, 03:06 PM   #3
Pride Of Lions
just kinda geeky
Pride Of Lions began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
This will be a cool technology when the prices come down. What would really set if off is when WiMax becomes available and the car can tap into the signal while on the road. Imagine being able to send/receive eMails on a real laptop and conduct business while someone else is driving, all without worrying about power consumption or battery life. And being able to tap the car radio into the hard drive to play music, I wouldn't have to plug my iPod in for music when I'm on the road and with the desktop I could more easily create custom playlists (and even have the crossfade feature that iTunes has but the iPod doesn't!).

When all of this comes to fruition, I might let my GF drive sometimes so that I can conduct business on the road and it wouldn't bug me that she drives slower than me because I'd be working. I drive 6 hours to L.A. or even more hours to Las Vegas, this would make the trip more fruitful if actual work can be done during those hours.
POL9A
Old 07-31-2005, 04:59 PM   #4
viva
viva began at the beginning.

I think one of the HDD manufacturers is developing a HDD specifically designed to be used in a car, this certainly seems to be the direction things are going.

I'm not really sure whether there is a real technological need here or whether it's just a marketing gimmick but I suppose for the point of this discussion it doesn't really matter.
Old 07-31-2005, 07:48 PM   #5
Brian
MobileRead Editor
Brian has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Treo 700p, Zodiac2
This is where a Video iPod will take off: In car entertainment, travel guides, etc. Just as iPod integration with car stereo systems is a factory and aftermarket accessory option, the Video iPod will follow.

Who is Apple turning to for their processors??

Brian
Advert