Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 11-22-2004, 02:11 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
AvantGo 2005 beta program available

Apparantly AvantGo is trying hard to capture back some of the users who made the switch from AvantGo to other offline-browser alternatives. If you have an AvantGo account, you can now participate in a new beta program for the upcoming AvantGo 2005.

AvantGo 2005 includes a redesign of the user interface, improved on-device channel management and selection (you can now search, browse, and add AvantGo channels from your device), on-device Help & Alert sections, and enhanced connected/wireless features (you can now select which channels you wish to sync).

The beta software is available for Palm OS 5, Pocket PC, and Symbian OS UIQ and Symbian OS Series 60.
Old 11-22-2004, 03:03 PM   #2
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Looks like they are trying to make AvantGo a full blown web browser instead of an offline content viewer.
Advert
Old 11-22-2004, 03:51 PM   #3
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
I abandoned AvantGo long ago, and return to it only at times like these, when the developers do something new, just to try it out. Well, I can't even do that now, since the site will not accept my perfectly valid username and password. So even when I approach it with interest and goodwill, AvantGo manages to be resistant. Philippe Radley
Old 11-22-2004, 10:28 PM   #4
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Philippe,

try these direct links:

http://downloads.avantgo.com/downloa...PC_beta_EN.exe
http://downloads.avantgo.com/downloa...lm_beta_EN.exe
http://downloads.avantgo.com/downloa...GoS60_beta.sis
http://downloads.avantgo.com/downloa...GoUIQ_beta.sis
Old 11-23-2004, 10:35 AM   #5
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Thanks, Tad, but I guess I didn't explain myself clearly enough. I downloaded and installed the software, it's when I tried to HotSync and do a wireless sync that the site rejected my id and password. I know those are valid because I can get into all my data by entering them. The problems occur at the sync level, which means that the problem is with the site, hardly a novelty for AvantGo. Philippe Radley
Advert
Old 11-23-2004, 01:58 PM   #6
Pride Of Lions
just kinda geeky
Pride Of Lions began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
They might want to start by supporting Mac OS X.

I'm DL'ing the Palm OS files and will try to use them with Internet Sharing via Mark/Space Missing Sync, but who knows if it'll work.

The reason I initially left AG is because the dropped Mac OS X support. It was only then that I decided to move to iSilo (and Turcic.com helped me discover the lovliness that lies within iSilo.)

If AG is interested in gaining marketshare, it doesn't make sense to ignore and alienate the Mac people.
POL9A
Old 11-23-2004, 02:30 PM   #7
radleyp
Evangelist

I have yet again given up on AvantGo: I've long considered it a badly designed and poorly implemented piece of software, and this version has done nothing to change my view. I have plenty of other ways to browse the web. But, Alexander, thanks for giving me another opportunity to confirm a long-held opinion. Cheers, Philippe Radley
Old 11-29-2004, 12:26 PM   #8
jlariviere
jlariviere began at the beginning.

Location: Rocklin, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Galaxy, Universe
Device: Onyx Boox Note 10.3 (want), Kindle Oasis (have)
I had the same problem at first. I had to to into the server settins, re-enter my user name and password, I also chose secure connection, re-entered my username and password when prompted by the program, reminded the program that I wanted to store the files on the memory card, and then it worked.
A bit of a pain if you ask me.
Jeremie

Quote:
Originally Posted by radleyp
Thanks, Tad, but I guess I didn't explain myself clearly enough. I downloaded and installed the software, it's when I tried to HotSync and do a wireless sync that the site rejected my id and password. I know those are valid because I can get into all my data by entering them. The problems occur at the sync level, which means that the problem is with the site, hardly a novelty for AvantGo. Philippe Radley