Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 11-15-2004, 09:57 AM   #1
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
RIM: Connectivity is a "must" for PDAs nowadays

"International wireless solutions manufacturer Research in Motion (RIM) believes the days of disconnected PDAs are gone" is how an article in today's ZDNet UK begins.

According to RIM Asia-Pacific vice-president Patrick Spence,

"Disconnected PDAs were great in the past but today, people's information is changing too rapidly for that type of model and customers want to synchronise their PDAs with their PCs fast."

This statement is not suprising in light of RIM's announcement from last month of the 7270 BlackBerry, the first Blackberry to support VoIP and 802.11b WiFi. The device is due to go on sale in early 2005, with selected customers testing it already.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:47 AM   #2
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I agree with RIM. There is no reason to go with a disconnected PDA today. WiFi/BT implementations work with a tiny single-chip solutions, thus not making the device any bigger. And prices are going doooooown, too.
Advert
Old 11-16-2004, 05:56 PM   #3
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW
I agree with RIM. There is no reason to go with a disconnected PDA today. WiFi/BT implementations work with a tiny single-chip solutions, thus not making the device any bigger.
I'll give you one... Government buildings. How about another: Medical and pharmaceutical facilities.

I'd much rather have my PDA with me, than have it confiscated at the door, because it has a camera or 802.11x or GSM capabilities built into it. I still need to see my address book and calendar while I'm at these locations.

Being forced to store my PDA in a locker at the door isn't an option for me.. so, while I think "always-on" PDAs are very useful, their use is limited when you get into the business world where they present a significant risk to the security of the business itself, and aren't allowed on the premises at all.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:34 AM   #4
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I totally forgot about that!