Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 11-05-2004, 10:21 AM   #1
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Palm OS Cobalt 6.1 simulator available

PalmSource has released a simulator for its latest Palm OS Cobalt 6.1 operation system. The simulator allows software registered developers to test their programs without actually having a handheld running the new OS.
Old 11-05-2004, 01:29 PM   #2
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
Weird... their 6.1 Release AutoBackup claims "Missing license file" in the very first popup dialog, and the only button I can click is "I disagree", then it closes. The rest work, with varying degrees of difficulty, in Wine though. They still haven't fixed the obvious leaks in the code though. Nice.

Update: NONE of these Simulators from 6.0 through 6.0.1 and 6.1 run on Windows 2000, XP and 2003, on clean systems with the latest service packs and patches. They're all missing core modules, and they error out:

You can see the errors in the screenshot montage here:

http://code.gnu-designs.com/OS6.1_Simulator.png

Last edited by hacker; 11-05-2004 at 02:11 PM.
Advert
Old 11-09-2004, 03:06 AM   #3
Pride Of Lions
just kinda geeky
Pride Of Lions began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
OK, but...

...how come no company seems to plan on licensing it? I know that it will eventually be made to become the standard, but Cobalt's been announced for a while now and Palm OS based companies have chosen to continue to save money and get as much from their OS 5 license instead of making PDA's that will utilize this new business.

I think, even though I never liked their PDA's for myself, that I lament Sony's absence in the US market. Without Sony to push PalmOne, I fear that they will slide (or plummet) into complacency. I don't think that TapWave is being viewed as a viable replacement for the Sony market, but rather as a niche PDA for the gamer segment.

Are they trying to force me towards PPC? Let's hope next Spring heralds the arrival of PDA's with Cobalt and features that people have been asking for.
POL9A
Old 11-09-2004, 05:58 AM   #4
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
In my mind, there are some concerns about next year even. Didn't the head of PalmOne, in clarifying the WinME OS rumors, say that they were open to WinME and Linux? Plus, he said they were successfully tweaking OS5 so he wasn't ready to commit to any OS6 devices even in 2005. To me that means an OS6/Cobalt device is unlikely for the first half of 2005 given the long product cycles. I'm afraid there may be some serious problems with Cobalt. Until I see a successful product, I'm afraid that it may be a dying duck, and PalmOne may have to go Linux or WinMe to survive. Linux would be very interesting to me, but WinMe devices would just another handful of ordinary fish in the pond.
I hope I'm wrong...
Old 11-09-2004, 07:16 AM   #5
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
I wouldn't expect any PalmOne OS6 devices to come out before spring 2006. I do expect a cheaper range of Treo's to be released throughout 2005, all running OS5.
Advert