Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 11-02-2004, 11:03 AM   #1
divajess
Connoisseur
divajess is on a distinguished road

Device: hp iPAQ 1910, Dell X30H
Novel writing on the go...

As some of you crazy writers might be aware, November is National Novel Writing Month. The goal? Write 50,000 words or more in just 30 days. At the end of the month, you submit your manuscript for an official word count (no cheating!) and if you hit the 50K mark, you win the satisfaction of a job well done. Oh, and a nifty little "winner" graphic to display proudly on your website. Neat, huh?

Last year I decided to sign up, but never got much past my first 1,000 words due to complications of the real life kind. This year I decided to give it another shot, and I am determined that I will finish. The key to my success? My Pocket PC.

I love writing by hand, but writing 50,000 words that way seemed like quite a daunting task. I also don't think that carrying around my 5 pound laptop is a very viable solution. I might have 50K by the end of the month, but I would also have huge back problems. But that's why we have PDAs, right? My beautiful new Dell Axim (with Calligrapher 7.0) plus my Targus IR keyboard is the perfect portable word processor. They both fit into my small handbag and I never leave home without carrying at least the Axim, if not also the keyboard.

Even just one day into NaNoWriMo my setup has proven its worth. I had lots of errands to run last night, including a trip to the emergency vet with my cat, but I was able to churn out about 500 words on my PPC instead of leafing through 10-month-old magazines. It was much better than reading old magazines!

Are any other writers out their using their PDAs as a mobile writing solution? Any fellow NaNo'ers? I want to hear from you!
Old 11-02-2004, 12:03 PM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
50,000 words? Oh dear that would take me forever! At university, I had to write several essays a week for my English classes. I still have nightmares of those sleepless nights.

I think you either have it or you don't. I am definitely the math and science person. And I have always admired those, like you Jess, who could write long and interesting essays without apparent efforts.
Advert
Old 11-02-2004, 03:15 PM   #3
divajess
Connoisseur

It's not even about it being interesting, it's just about it being long...hehehehe! We'll see if I make it. I have every hope. I was always Bad Procrastinator Girl when it came to my school essays, so I'd leave the 10 page paper until the night before and just let the BS flow. I am not going to give myself an ulcer over NaNoWriMo.
Old 11-03-2004, 02:05 AM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by divajess
...so I'd leave the 10 page paper until the night before and just let the BS flow. I am not going to give myself an ulcer over NaNoWriMo.
Ditto! Sometimes I didn't even have enough time to run to Kinko's in the morning after spending the night writing the essay.

If they don't really care about content, how about pasting Joyce's Ulysses with a rearranged phrase order?
Old 11-03-2004, 07:54 AM   #5
schinckel
schinckel began at the beginning.

You can actually just /say/ you have written 50k words - it's called an honesty system.

back on topic: I've been partially writing my nanowrimo novel on my palm, using MacNoteTaker, and autoposting to my blog: http://novel.schinckel.net

see some details via Google, or visit http://schinckel.net
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...om&btnG=Search
Advert
Old 11-03-2004, 09:15 AM   #6
divajess
Connoisseur

You actually have to submit your manuscript to be on the official list of winners--they'll give you the last word count. Otherwise, you don't get your nifty graphic!!

Obviously you could just cut and paste stuff in there, but that'd really take away from the spirit of the game, yes? Good luck Schinckel!
Old 12-27-2004, 10:35 AM   #7
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
So how did the writing thing go DivaJess?
Sounds like you got further than last year, but I can't even imagine finishing the whole thing!!!!
And yet I'm strangely drawn to the whole idea and find myself wanting to try it. I won't, of course, but I am drawn to the idea