Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 11-01-2004, 09:32 AM   #1
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Device: Palm Tungsten T|T3
New Messaging Standards

According to the Associated Press, a new standard for multimedia messaging has been adopted by the wireless industry, allowing customers from different wireless companies to exchange photos, video, and audio just like e-mail.

While the standard has been adopted it will take some time for companies to change and integrate everything. Until then, multimedia services will remain more like the current status of instant messaging, where users of services from AOL, Yahoo! and MSN still cannot chat directly.

The lack of interoperability has been a huge stumbling block for wireless carriers and their capabilities. For example, most cell phones today have cameras, but users wouldn't or couldn't share their pictures because their friends and family do not use the same wireless service. At a base-level short messaging service, or SMS, enabled a common standard of interoperability.

The establishment of a new multimedia message standard will encourage the exchange of photos and other multimedia content no matter what wireless company or technology a customer may be using. This will drive wider use of the technology and could lead to expanded multimedia services from wireless providers.

Cingular will be using a company call Mobile 365. VeriSign also announced an inter-carrier multimedia messaging service that wireless companies can take advantage of.
Old 11-01-2004, 12:17 PM   #2
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Did you know that SMS was a by-product of GSM cell phone technology? The phone carriers had never thought of actually making money out of it. And nowadays they charge you horrendous amounts of money for using this service.

Now I am curious how their price model will look like for the new standardized messaging system.
Advert
Old 11-01-2004, 05:01 PM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
If you are using T-Mobile in the US, you can already exchange SMS messages with folks from Europe using European carriers.
Old 11-01-2004, 06:48 PM   #4
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Device: Palm Tungsten T|T3
I use TMo and I think I pay 5 cents per, plus I have 300 free per month. (or is that txt? hmm)

But I have a smartphone, so I can email ppl from my phone so I rarely use it.

Alex: I'll SMS ya later.