Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-23-2010, 11:43 PM   #1
Viseguy
Just a kid from Bklyn
Viseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi; Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
Navigation features on my K3 wish list

I'm new to ereaders -- the K3 is my first. I like the experience a lot, but there is one feature of p-books that I miss: the ability to flip the pages back and forth to find things that I've read or want to read. So I'd like it if the Kindle had one or both of the following features:

1) Alt plus the page-turn keys (or some other key combination) to move backward or forward n pages at a time. Ideally, n would be customizable, but even if it were a fixed value, say 10 pages, that would be something.

2) The ability to go to a "percent read" location rather than a numerical location. I'm more likely to remember that I encountered something 25% of the way into a book than at some 4- or 5-digit location.

Has anyone else asked for features like these? Are they doable?
Viseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 05:44 PM   #2
aKarma
aKarma began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
deleted
aKarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2010, 04:50 PM   #3
ppearce
ppearce began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Agree with you.
I'd also like to see a way to jump from the top of a page to the bottom (with the cursor).
A password manager app would be awesome, for web browsing.
ppearce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:27 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I have a whole dissertation about improving Kindle navigation. Here are a few highlights:
- ALT joystick/5way right/left jumps to previous/next bookmark
- ALT joystick/5way up/down jumps to previous/next hyperlink on current page

You could navigate the bookmarks directly on K1:
"You can also navigate among your set bookmarks by placing the cursor next to the progress bar at the bottom of the page and clicking the select wheel. You will see small inverted triangles appear over the progress bar indicating places in the reading material that you bookmarked and can move among them by using the Next Page and Prev Page buttons."

But since then, you have had to walk through menus and pages of 'My notes and marks', which really defeats the purpose of having bookmarks, which are supposed to be for quick navigation to key points in the book as identified by the reader. I could see wanting to navigate more directly to existing highlights and annotations as well (Shift joystick/5way?).

The other thing really lacking on Kindle is TOC navigation. Kindle books are supposed to include an NCX TOC (same as ePub) but there is no way to use that instead of the very inefficient 'HTML' TOC (NCX is just used to navigate between chapter boundaries with the joystick/5way). The Kindle Previewer application does allow you to navigate the NCX TOC (if one is defined). Amazon needs to add this feature to Kindle itself.

Probably none of this is particularly hackable.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote