Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-20-2010, 01:50 AM   #1
Bev M
Enthusiast
Bev M is no ebook tyro.Bev M is no ebook tyro.Bev M is no ebook tyro.Bev M is no ebook tyro.Bev M is no ebook tyro.Bev M is no ebook tyro.Bev M is no ebook tyro.Bev M is no ebook tyro.Bev M is no ebook tyro.Bev M is no ebook tyro.

Device: JetBook Lite
Need a new reader, have many DRM books...

I've read and read through this site, and I'm so pleased I found it, there's way more information here than I can absorb. Many things aren't clear to me yet in deciding what reader to purchase to replace my venerable PDA, which has got me hooked on reading ebooks. When the specs for a reader say that it accepts PRC, does that mean that it will read my purchased Mobipocket books with DRM, or only non-protected ones? I also have many Microsoft Reader .lit books. I really want to be able to use my existing paid-for books on a new reader, which obviously narrows my choices. Suggestions and information on the DRM issue welcome, and thanks!
Bev M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 02:54 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There are no dedicated readers that will read DRM-protected LIT files; you'll need to remove the DRM (very easy to do) and convert to another format, such as Mobi.

Readers with DRM Mobi support are getting scarce these days due to Amazon (who own Mobi) imposed inconvenient licensing terms. The only manufacturer I personally know of who still supports it is Bookeen (http://www.bookeen.com) with their CyBook readers.

Mobi DRM is, however, also very easy to remove, and that would then let you use, say, an Amazon Kindle, which is a very popular device (and Amazon have the best eBook store around, too).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2010, 05:43 AM   #3
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
There are alternative firmwares for the Hanlin V3 clones (BeBook one, Astak EZReader, etc) that handle MobiDRM and DRM-free LIT, plus Adobe DRM.
Simplest solution is to strip the DRM off the files. Then you're free to buy the reader that best fits your needs.

Last edited by fjtorres; 09-20-2010 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Yes, its Hanlin V3. Thanks!
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:44 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
There are alternative firmwares for the Hanlin V1 clones (BeBook one, Astak EZReader, etc) that handle MobiDRM and DRM-free LIT, plus Adobe DRM.
Simplest solution is to strip the DRM off the files. Then you're free to buy the reader that best fits your needs.
You mean "Hanlin V3", I think. You're right in saying that they will handle DRM-free LIT, but they handle it extremely poorly. It's generally better to convert the LIT to Mobi, which is very easy to do, and generally produces very good results.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:44 AM   #5
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's generally better to convert the LIT to Mobi, which is very easy to do, and generally produces very good results.
I've found that Calibre converts LIT smoothly and very fast to pretty much anything.
I've found it is fastest to ePub and since fbReader on PB360 handles ePub better than Mobi...
(shrug)
I'd rather LIT were better supported myself but I'll go with whatever works.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2010, 01:12 PM   #6
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
I've found that Calibre converts LIT smoothly and very fast to pretty much anything.
I've found it is fastest to ePub and since fbReader on PB360 handles ePub better than Mobi...
(shrug)
I'd rather LIT were better supported myself but I'll go with whatever works.
I think the basic problem is that it is essentially an orphan format. Microsoft doesn't really support it any more (in fact, I don't think they produce a reader for the latest versions of Windows Mobile). For all practical purposes, you need a Windows Computer these days to read DRM'd lit files.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:25 PM   #7
Bev M
Enthusiast
Bev M is no ebook tyro.Bev M is no ebook tyro.Bev M is no ebook tyro.Bev M is no ebook tyro.Bev M is no ebook tyro.Bev M is no ebook tyro.Bev M is no ebook tyro.Bev M is no ebook tyro.Bev M is no ebook tyro.Bev M is no ebook tyro.

Device: JetBook Lite
Thanks so much for the input. Sigh...I guess I'm going to have to download Calibre and learn to use it, as well as the Python? info I found on converting Mobipocket. I'm not a computer whiz and I was SO hoping not to have to learn how to use more pieces of software! Then, you're right, I can choose a reader based on whatever else looks important to me.
Bev M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:30 PM   #8
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Unfortunately, the formats supported in the early days of e-reading on PDAs and smartphones (LIT and Mobi and my prior preference, eReader) are not the dominant formats supported by the major E-Ink devices. I also had to get friendly with Python and Calibre, and it was tedious converting the old collection, but it has opened up the e-reading world for me to just about any device I want, as long as I'm willing to put in the time to de-DRM everything as I buy it.

I never want to mass-remove and convert again. :P
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 12:59 AM   #9
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bev M View Post
Thanks so much for the input. Sigh...I guess I'm going to have to download Calibre and learn to use it, as well as the Python? info I found on converting Mobipocket. I'm not a computer whiz and I was SO hoping not to have to learn how to use more pieces of software! Then, you're right, I can choose a reader based on whatever else looks important to me.
Google is your friend
just recently I came across a calibre plugin that converted
mobipocket drm files
I think I am not allowed to say more than that here in this forum.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 02:56 AM   #10
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Yet another reason to avoid DRM protected books.
It's not easy to change your reader AND copy your books to your new reader.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote