Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-11-2010, 02:20 AM   #1
coco37
coco37 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: 650,iPad
Exclamation PSR650 Charging

Note this model does not have a DC IN jack, the only connection is via a mini USB socket with 6 small holes, so I guess finding a non Sony wall charger will be harder.

Tony.
coco37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:02 AM   #2
perost
Enthusiast
perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
On the contrary I think. From what I know it uses a standard mini-USB charger, so finding a non Sony charger should be very easy. Charging with mini-USB is starting to become a standard on mobile phones, so there's lots of chargers out there.
perost is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2010, 10:49 AM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
One correction: it's micro-USB.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:39 PM   #4
Romiman
Connoisseur
Romiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Sony PRS-350
But notice!
There are much Sony devices, recharcheable via (micro/mini-) USB, but they need their own USB-Charger.
They don´t run with a standard USB-Charger.
But I don´t know what it is like at the new E-Readers.
Romiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:49 PM   #5
yts06mgr
Nameless Being

I would go with a Sony genuine USB AC adapter just because I do not want to screw up charging capability of my Sony Reader. Previously I had a bad experience for not using a recommended charger because any 3rd party charger just takes either so much time, not being properly recognized, or too much current flowing in so that it kinda screwed up the internal battery.
Advert
Old 09-11-2010, 02:51 PM   #6
chainring
Addict
chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650 (black), Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by yts06mgr View Post
I would go with a Sony genuine USB AC adapter just because I do not want to screw up charging capability of my Sony Reader. Previously I had a bad experience for not using a recommended charger because any 3rd party charger just takes either so much time, not being properly recognized, or too much current flowing in so that it kinda screwed up the internal battery.
Unless a USB charger goes over the recommended 5 Volts, you're not going to screw up anything. Current (Amps) are like a meal, you can't force it faster than the mouth (device) is willing to take it in. Voltage, however, especially when it's on the higher side, can kill the device. Now, where the mains to USB chargers fail is internally being configured incorrectly. If it's not wired correctly internally, the device (PRS-650, in this case) will see the charger as being a USB port on a computer and limit charging to 500mA. If wired correctly, it will charge at the full rate, say 1A (just an example).
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:38 PM   #7
mwheinz
award-winning bozo
mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by yts06mgr View Post
I would go with a Sony genuine USB AC adapter just because I do not want to screw up charging capability of my Sony Reader.
The problem is that Sony devices won't charge unless you plug them into a computer, not just a simple AC adapter that has a USB connector. This is apparently so Sony can get away with charging a large sum of money for an AC adapter that has a small computer chip in it.
mwheinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:58 PM   #8
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
mwheinz--This is true of the previous Sony devices, but my understanding is that the new readers (350/650/950) will work differently--the AC charger that Sony is selling for their new readers plugs into the micro-usb slot on the reader, so I would imagine that other AC to micro-usb chargers will also work. Now, I don't have a new Sony (yet) so I can't verify this, but I'm sure someone will be able to verify soon!

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:06 PM   #9
hgwlackey
Zealot
hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle Touch, HTC Thunderbolt
It doesn't work with my PRS-350 and the power adapters that came with either my iPhone or my iPad. It doesn't work with the Rocketfish USB cigarette lighter adapter in my car, either. Ah, well.
hgwlackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:04 PM   #10
mwheinz
award-winning bozo
mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgwlackey View Post
It doesn't work with my PRS-350 and the power adapters that came with either my iPhone or my iPad. It doesn't work with the Rocketfish USB cigarette lighter adapter in my car, either. Ah, well.
Yeah, I figured. It was kind of obvious from the way that if my PRS-600 died completely, charging it through the AC adapter jack it had wouldn't work - it wouldn't restart until it had been plugged into a PC, even though it might have actually been charging for hours.

How do you like the 350? I've been hemming and hawing about upgrading - I still like Sony's file format support better than the Kindle's, but I'm not sure I want to re-buy my accessories after only a year.
mwheinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 08:39 PM   #11
coco37
coco37 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: 650,iPad
PSR650 Charging

The 650 does not charge from a iPod wall charger, despite Sony support in Sydney telling me that it would, going to ring them tomorrow to see what they say this time.

Tony.
coco37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 08:50 PM   #12
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
If you have a current generation Blackberry charger, it will work fine.
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:11 PM   #13
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
Try using a phone charger. There are other threads about charging where people have had success with their micro usb phone chargers. iPod and iPhone usb chargers have been known to work differently on purpose to make people buy chargers specific to the iPhone or iPod.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:02 PM   #14
confusednow
confusednow began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi. I am new to ereaders, and is currently waiting for a 650 to arrive by mail. I been reading about charging from mains, and as most people pointed out, Sony is charging ALOT of money for its 650 mains adapter.

Afew people mention that their standard micro usb adapter for mobile phones work when charging the 650. Can I just confirm that it will not fry the 650 or age the battery any faster? Would something like a standard Nokia charger like this work? It only cost £9.. way less than what Sony is charging for theirs.

http://www.nokia.co.uk/find-products...-charger-ac-10

Thanks guys.
confusednow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:57 PM   #15
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusednow View Post
Delivery cost is another £4
astra is offline   Reply With Quote