Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-06-2010, 04:57 AM   #1
JJHamster
JJHamster began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
If the cap fits?

Is there any cap on 3g use with the kindle? I assume it's not possible to download files using the browser? The bandwidth used for basic surfing must be pretty small but,I guess, it will soon add up. Doubtless the long battery life and lack of fees will also attract a lot more use.
JJHamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:27 AM   #2
psycholoner
Enthusiast
psycholoner began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
I don't know if there is a cap or not, but that probably doesn't matter. Internet is slow, images take forever to load. You can only navigate with directional keys (no cursor), there isn't any panning, and you can't scroll half a page at a time. You could try to push the limit, but you aren't going to have a good experience.

Amazon also has all rights to your account, and the internet browser is an experimental feature, so it could be taken away from you without your consent. Browsing and buying books from Amazon is the only real guarantee.
psycholoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2010, 07:48 AM   #3
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Not that I've ever heard of but I don't think anybody is going to want to surf for hours on their Kindle. It is pretty much a check your email kind of thing ... way too clunky for recreational use.

I've never tried to download a file so I couldn't tell you.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:33 AM   #4
JJHamster
JJHamster began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Glad to hear that it's OK for checking email - that's what I'm interested in. I was just wondering if there is any check against over use.
JJHamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:49 AM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

No cap that I've ever heard of, but Amazon could change its mind. As far as I have heard you can only download files that are viewable on the Kindle reader like MOBI, AZW, PRC. You might be able to download TXT, PDF, and perhaps some image formats.
Advert
Old 09-06-2010, 12:04 PM   #6
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Sadly, you can't download PDFs, but I'm pretty sure txt and jpg work.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:04 PM   #7
ski_power
Book eater
ski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3 G 3G (<-lol)
I don't really think amazon could actually take away your internets (yes I said it!), since they advertise wikipedia in their ad and you need internet to access it. But if they could block you from all sites other than wiki and amazon home then its a different issue.
ski_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:22 PM   #8
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
>> ... Sadly, you can't download PDFs, but I'm pretty sure txt and jpg work.

Hmmm ... I am at a loss understanding what's going on. I have used the Amazon email service to send myself .pdf files to my K3 wirelessly. Do you mean you cannot download .pdf files while using the K3 browser?
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote