Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-04-2010, 03:12 PM   #1
amungar
amungar began at the beginning.

Device: kindle wi-fi
How transfering files from PC to Kindle?

had create in "kindle wi-fi" a directory "ebooks" and another directory "documents". After, from my PC (via USB) I had created these directories and copyed several files .pdf, .doc to these directories, but they are empty. There is nothing in. How is possible? Anyone know anything to resolv this problem. Thank you for yours answers

Last edited by amungar; 09-04-2010 at 03:26 PM.
amungar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 03:20 PM   #2
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
The Kindle won't read .doc files directly, you'll need to convert them to something Kindle readable. Also, any files you put on your Kindle need to go into the Documents folder, they can be in their own sub-directories, but they have to be in that folder for the Kindle to see them.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by carld; 09-04-2010 at 03:23 PM.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2010, 04:06 PM   #3
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
The Kindle won't read .doc files directly, you'll need to convert them to something Kindle readable. Also, any files you put on your Kindle need to go into the Documents folder, they can be in their own sub-directories, but they have to be in that folder for the Kindle to see them.

Hope that helps.
i thought text files were direct readble.do you have to convert everything to kindle format.
what about word,rtf,txt,pdf,lit,html,xml,etc.
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 04:16 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
i thought text files were direct readble.do you have to convert everything to kindle format.
what about word,rtf,txt,pdf,lit,html,xml,etc.
Yes, txt files are readable.
As for the direct readability of the others... No, no, yes, yes but kinda crappy, no, if you rename it to txt yes, no.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 04:31 PM   #5
amungar

Hello thank for you answer.

Well, but kindle can read the files .pdf and these neither are in the subdirectories Documents. Then I had this: I copied some files .pdf into subdirectory "Documents" (root) and then SUCCESS. But ¡all files are showed in page "menu"!. This is unacceptable!.
I cannot create a subcollection into of collection "Documents". Clicking into of collection Document there is not option to create subcollections, only add, rename, remove items and detele collection.
Then I have created new collections into page "menu" (Documents) for each kind or type of books. Y after to move each file from page "menu" (Documents) to each new collection: one by one. This is a pain. Any idea? .Thanks.

Next I'll install a free program "mobipocket" (dowdload from internet) and I'll convert files doc to files .prc
Advert
Old 09-04-2010, 04:35 PM   #6
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Unfortunately the Kindle doesn't support any visible file structure other than Collections.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 04:36 PM   #7
amungar

It's a pity. Thanks carld
Old 09-04-2010, 04:57 PM   #8
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
If you move all the files of one type onto the Kindle at once, you can right cursor on the Collection name and select Add/Remove items. Then, since everything for that collection is the most recent, you can use Menu to add all items on the screen. That's the quickest method I've found for sorting into collections in bulk.

If you want to set up collections on your PC, you might want to keep an eye on this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94261
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 05:51 PM   #9
amungar

Thanks trekchick.

You are right. I had done this, but picking the files one by one. It should perfect is possible create new Collections in Kindle from PC and move files to this new Collections in PC. Unfortunately the new Collections created in PC don’t appear in the Kindle. I don’t understand why.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:37 PM   #10
SpeckledJim
Enthusiast
SpeckledJim began at the beginning.

Device: K3 WiFi
Collections aren't folders in the conventional file system sense. Whilst you could argue it would make sense to allow the folder structure to dictate the collection creation, ie make a folder "novels" and place a file in it, and the kindle would have that book in a collection called "novels", it wouldn't handle the situation where one book can appear in multiple collections, you'd then need shortcuts to files, which starts to get messy.

Personally I'd prefer a full nested folder structure, but I guess they want to keep it simple.
SpeckledJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:42 AM   #11
norti
norti began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi eco-nique Edition :D
Collections = tags or labels
norti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:48 AM   #12
amungar

Thanks. Now I had understood the difference between a "collection" and a "directory". But then there is a big problem to sort NEW files copied from a PC to Kindle at a new collection. When I press the option "Add/Remove Items" to add new files in these new collection, the new files copied into Kindle appear join (at the same time) with ALL FILES saved at the past. It`s necessary look at the new files among a lot of files saved already. Is there any manner to avoid this insane?. I think this is a problem that happen to every users.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:33 AM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Is there any manner to avoid this insane?. I think this is a problem that happen to every users.
Not really every user. This will only affect users that already have a large ebook library and insist on plopping that entire library on the Kindle the minute they get it in their hands. The person who buys a book and reads a book (lather, rinse, repeat) will probably never experience this difficulty.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:53 AM   #14
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I have a large ebook library which is stored on my PC in Calibre. I use the Calibre tag system to create collections within Calibre (on my Sony Touch these transferred over to the Sony without any extra work).

All I did with the Kindle was (using Calibre) sent one collection of books at a time, I then disconnected my Kindle from the PC, created the collection on the Kindle and added in those books, they disappear off the home page once you have added them to a collection. Then I reconnected my kindle to the PC and sent another collection

I now have 647 books on my Kindle in 46 collections. I took my about 3 hours.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:58 AM   #15
amungar

OK Diapdealer. You are right. In my case I have about 6,000 digital books in my PC. Of course I wan`t all into Kindle, only collections of some authors. It's a pitty. Then I must expect a new operating system in the future.

Josieb1 it's very important this. I'll try to do that and I'll tell you the outcomes.

Thank you

Last edited by amungar; 09-05-2010 at 07:02 AM.