Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

View Poll Results: Which new Sony should I get my wife
Lovely and pink but with a 5" display 18 32.14%
Boring black or silver, with the 6" display 34 60.71%
The Blue one with the fish - and no display 4 7.14%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-03-2010, 03:45 AM   #1
Icarusbop
Groupie
Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.

Device: PRS505
Help me choose my wife's Christmas present...

Help please!

After studying my 505, my wife has been hinting for ages she would like one of these new fandangled readers.
So I've been waiting for Sony to get the new ones out, and true to form three come along at once, so now I'm stuck.
The two candiates are the new 650 & the 350...
I am more than willing to pay the £200 for the new prs650 with the 6" screen, but it only comes in black or silver.
So - go for the lovely pink one with a 5" display which is lsightly more portable and I'll spend the £50 saving on something else for her, or the boring coloured 650 with the 6" display. The other differences in the two models do not matter.
Please help!
Icarusbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 04:34 AM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
How old is your wife? If she's old enough to want/need the benefit of enlarging the font size, she might prefer the 6", even if it's only black or silver.

I took my current 300 into the SonyStyle store, and the new 650 is only a little bigger than the current 300.

If she really wants a pretty reader, you could always look into getting a "skin" for it.

On the other hand, if y'all are still in your 20-30s, and her vision is generally good, the 5" reader does take less space in a handbag or backpack!

Of course...only you can answer if she even likes pink. Not all women do...
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2010, 04:38 AM   #3
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Go for the black 6". Black is always more stylish than any colour you can get. And it will fit with all other colours.

(for example, let's say you got that pink one, it would clash with a red outfit!)

And as FizzyWater already said, not all women like pink... (I personally hate it).
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:12 AM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Go for the black and get her a gift certificate to a company that makes skins so she can choose her own pattern/color.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:59 PM   #5
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Last year Astak learned here that there are many women who prefer non-black or non-white colors. Without more information, I'd go with the pink.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2010, 01:01 PM   #6
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I say 6 " although it is less pocket friendly.
You can alway trade her yours if she wants something smaller
Or the slightly less romantic Sony store gift certificate.
Then again you can take her shopping for (subtrefuge) one for yourself, and when she drools over one of them pull out your wallet and hand her the ereader.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:57 PM   #7
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Then again you can take her shopping for (subtrefuge) one for yourself, and when she drools over one of them pull out your wallet and hand her the ereader.
I second this suggestion! Personally I wouldn't be thrilled with pink, but silver or black with my own skin on it would be lovely.

Take her shopping and see which one she gravitates towards; you can always go back and get it when she isn't with you. That way you know she will like her present. I think it's a great idea to give her an eBook Reader for Christmas no matter what colour.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:34 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Go for the black and get her a gift certificate to a company that makes skins so she can choose her own pattern/color.
Oh no. Stay away from skins and engraving. Two things that lower your devices value and can make it look ugly. Plus, you cannot return it if need be if it has a tacky sticker all over it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:53 PM   #9
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Does she like pink??

Would she prefer a bigger screen or would she be happy with the 5''. When she is admiring your 505, you could drop something about the screen size and portability into the convo, but prehaps put your point of view across in relation to your own device and then ask her what she thinks, so as not to make it obvious.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 04:48 PM   #10
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
6" black or sliver reader.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:01 PM   #11
Georgiegirl2012
Connoisseur
Georgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony touch prs600
6" with a cover - I'm currently waiting for the PRS600 to arrive (because I ordered it before they announced the new ones, but did get it for a bargainous price) and have a Tuf-Luv purple cover, which will protect it when it's in my handbag, and has a stand on the back so it can be propped up like a photo frame and read whilst sitting at a table.
Georgiegirl2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:09 PM   #12
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Does she like pink? Did she choose a pink car? Pink couch? Pink curtains? Did she have the bedroom walls painted pink? Does she wear a lot of pink? Pink shoes? Pink fingernail polish?

If not, I would go for the black or the silver. Probably black--you really can't go wrong with black; it's a nice unobtrusive "Don't mind me; I am electronics" color.

Though really I think the "find out what *she* thinks" suggestions are best. If she won't be really disappointed if you spoil the surprise you could even just ask her.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:59 PM   #13
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
Size matters. Go with the 6"
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:41 PM   #14
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
The folks who use skins on their Kindles have had no problems with a sticky residue when they remove a skin. They are suppose to be easy to take off and more then one person has sent in a broken Kindle after removing a skin with no problems. Maybe the Sonys react differently to a skin
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 01:09 AM   #15
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I voted for the pink 5" for you. What made my decision is the way you describe them - it sounds like you'd really rather get her that one.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote