Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-31-2010, 04:59 AM   #1
geekgeek
geekgeek doesn't littergeekgeek doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3
Menu option for "Create New Collection" is greyed out, why?

Hi guys,

I've just received my K3 today (my first e-reader ever!) and have been fiddling around with it excitedly, but I seem to have run into a little snag.

I've loaded a few books into the K3, and I wanted to try out the Collections function, but uopn pressing the Menu button in the Home screen, I was rather dismayed to see that the option to Create New Collection was grayed out.

Does anyone have any idea why this could be so?
geekgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:06 AM   #2
Ajax
Addict
Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4 Touch, Kindle Fire, HP Touchpad
The only time I have ever seen that is if it is not registered to an Amazon account.
Ajax is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2010, 03:33 AM   #3
Vighnahara
Vighnahara began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
The only time I have ever seen that is if it is not registered to an Amazon account.
Yup! I was having this problem too, read your post and finally got around to registering my Kindle. Yay! Collections Ahoy!
Vighnahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 05:51 AM   #4
robkat
Connoisseur
robkat began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 300
The collections option will not work until you have got wifi up and running on your kindle.
robkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:12 AM   #5
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by robkat View Post
The collections option will not work until you have got wifi up and running on your kindle.
Are you sure about that?

My wife uses collections on her Kindle, and never has wireless connected.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2010, 10:03 AM   #6
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Thanks for this post. I've just received my Kindle today and I noticed the same thing - collections greyed out.

However, I haven't set up my Kindle with Amazon yet so that would explain it.

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:32 AM   #7
wongdong
Connoisseur
wongdong has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Pocketbook 360, Pocketbook 903
Yepp, the reason is that you are not registered with Amazon. At the moment, the only way to create collections on your device when NOT registered is, to use the Kindle Collection Creator.

I do that because i consider a registered device a severe privacy threat. Beware though. As soon as you register your kindle (again), it will delete all collections created by 3rd-party software with the ones stored with amazon (yepp, your collections are stored there).

Cheers
wongdong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:37 AM   #8
booknut
Zealot
booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: PW1 + PW2, NOOK HD
How about the clock feature? It was working fine and then I deregistered my Kindle and now I have the wrong time but no way to change it...
booknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:04 AM   #9
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by booknut View Post
How about the clock feature? It was working fine and then I deregistered my Kindle and now I have the wrong time but no way to change it...
You can manually set the clock on page 2 of Settings.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:06 AM   #10
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
My wife uses collections on her Kindle, and never has wireless connected.
You just need to have registered the Kindle to enable collections as Amazon has it as part of their syncing data.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:22 AM   #11
booknut
Zealot
booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
You can manually set the clock on page 2 of Settings.
I have no page 2 of settings...did have page two when I had the Kindle registered, though.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:45 AM   #12
Tiersten
Guru

Quote:
I have no page 2 of settings...did have page two when I had the Kindle registered, though.
Ah. Yes. You lose the other 2 pages if you're not registered. Any reason why you don't want it registered?
Old 09-29-2010, 12:05 PM   #13
booknut
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
Ah. Yes. You lose the other 2 pages if you're not registered. Any reason why you don't want it registered?
I have no need to, I am using my Kindle to store only personal docs (knitting patterns) and I want to be able to update the firmware at my convenience. In order to save battery life, I turned wireless off already. That should actually take care of it but I also find the naming of this device sort of dorky, it's a tool for me, not a personal friend with a name...

I find it a little disappointing that many advanced features are linked with registration with Amazon but I guess that's the price you pay for getting such a cheap reader, the improved text is great for my eyes and that's why I bought it.

Last edited by booknut; 09-29-2010 at 12:14 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:43 PM   #14
Tiersten
Guru

Quote:
I have no need to, I am using my Kindle to store only personal docs (knitting patterns) and I want to be able to update the firmware at my convenience. In order to save battery life, I turned wireless off already.
Assuming you don't need the browser, you can leave it registered but with WiFi disabled. That'd be the only way you can get all the features but also have the ability to choose if and when you do updates.

As a guess, I assume that the Kindle wants the timezone which it gets from linking to your Amazon account.

Excluding the password and time, the rest of the options on the 2nd and 3rd pages are useless without registration and Personal Info is just useless.

Quote:
That should actually take care of it but I also find the naming of this device sort of dorky, it's a tool for me, not a personal friend with a name...
Kindle is dorky? I didn't think that Amazon advertised the Kindle as being a personal friend with a name.

Quote:
I find it a little disappointing that many advanced features are linked with registration with Amazon but I guess that's the price you pay for getting such a cheap reader, the improved text is great for my eyes and that's why I bought it.
Excluding the settings menu, the only feature I know of that requires linking the Kindle to an account is collections.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:20 PM   #15
booknut
Zealot

No, I mean it's calling itself Barbara's Kindle or something like that, I am not creative enough to come up with something better that I like, so I just left the whole device "in its natural, untempered with state" so to speak and the only thing I miss is a time setting. I had sent some gifts to friends overseas and somehow it had assumed that was my time zone, since I am a frequent Amazon buyer and have an account with them, so without too much fiddling around, a local time setting without registration would have been more practical for me. That's another reason why I prefer not to register it, when it syncs every so often, it resets the time.