Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 08-22-2010, 11:39 PM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Collins, Wilkie: The Woman in White (Illustrated) v3 18 Mar 2012

The Woman in White is a sensational mystery narrated by draughtsman and artist Walter Hartwright and various other characters within the tale whose accounts are coloured by their distinctive points of view. It was published in 1860 as a serialisation in Dicken's magazine All the Year Round, and in Harper's Weekly with illustrations, and as a three volume book. A New Edition in 1861 corrected some chronological errors, and there have been many later editions.

The story begins with Walter's late night meeting of a woman dressed in white who he rescues from a group of pursuers. Walter goes to work in the service of the selfish and unpleasant Mr Fairlie as a drawing instructor and in doing so meets his niece Laura who strongly resembles the mysterious woman in white. Walter falls in love with Laura, but though Laura does love Walter she is engaged to Sir Percival Glyde. Deceit, love and various unmaskings follow which explain Anne Catherick's strange confinement within an asylum, her death, and Laura's substitution for her in the asylum and Laura's rescue by Marian. The struggle to vindicate her, tense adventures, and retribution follow.

The Woman in White is by far the biggest and most complex ebook I have so far attempted, and is the first with illustrations.

Some of the 'chapters' in the ebook are well over 300Kb, and so have been split with only the second part having a page turn. Some of the paragraphs go on for several pages, and so have caused some problems with pagination.

The narrative and 'chapter' structure is quite complex, and there have been several slightly different editions. I have not attempted to make this ebook a facsimile of any version, and have used my best judgment to make the story flow. And in the words of the Penguin Classics version I have 'silently corrected any obvious mistakes'.

Because the structure is so complex I have provided a listing of the sections, but have provided only links to the major subsections.

One of the first versions was published as a 40 part serial in Harper's Weekly, and most of those parts had two engraved illustrations by John McLenan of differing sizes and aspect ratios. I have chosen one illustration from each part set up so that it occupies about half the width of the screen. The graphics were taken with permission from Paul Lewis' marvellous site at www.paullewis.co.uk/

As always I would be very grateful for feedback. I would like to know especially:
- Do you miss not having a more detailed Table of Contents, with links to each of the chapters?
- Do the illustrations work on your ebook reader - especially those with 5" or smaller screens?
- Do the subdivisions of the 'chapters' make sense, and does the story flow?
- Have you found any capitalised words which should be in italics, or any hanging double quotes?

Regards, Alex
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: epub The Woman in White.epub (3.87 MB, 1590 views)

Last edited by AlexBell; 03-17-2012 at 12:21 AM. Reason: New version
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 12:10 AM   #2
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Alex I note that you have the book listed as "other fiction" rather than as "mystery/crime".
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2010, 01:51 AM   #3
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Alex I note that you have the book listed as "other fiction" rather than as "mystery/crime".
Silly me. Thanks for pointing it out. Fixed.

Regards, Alex
Old 12-10-2010, 11:28 AM   #4
HomeSweetHome
HomeSweetHome began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505
My compliments on your skill at formatting and attention to detail! I'm reading on a Sony 505, and I find myself enjoying each page turn . . . the font clear with plenty of white space, the section breaks helpful in forwarding the story, the illustrations a delightful surprise tucked into the narrative. Well done.
HomeSweetHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 02:40 AM   #5
AlexBell
Wizard

Thank you, HomeSweetHome. You've made my day. I learned a lot from doing that book.

Do please tell me if you find any typos or other mistakes so I can fix them.

Regards, Alex
Advert
Old 03-17-2012, 12:25 AM   #6
AlexBell
Wizard

It's four years or so since I uploaded the first version, and I hope I've learned something in this time.

Version three is a complete reworking of the original Project Gutenberg HTML, and I have fixed some typos and italicisation and changed the layout so the the ugly horizontal line scenebreaks are not needed.

As always please let me know of any mistakes so I can fix them.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:16 AM   #7
SBT
Fanatic
SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-t1, tablet, Nook Simple, assorted kindles, iPad
Nice work.
I've fiddled a bit with b&w print illustrations in ebooks; I like to get the background white instead of the light grey that the original scans normally have. I use Imagemagick, so I can do batch operations on all images at once, get fairly decent results. If you run the images through
Code:
convert file.png -level 20%,85% new-file.png
you get a white background and clearer black lines. You can also sharpen the images a bit, if you like:
Code:
convert file.png -level 20%,85% -unsharp 0.7x0.7+3+0 new-file.png
(That's the parameters I found worked for the images in this book)
SBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:06 AM   #8
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBT View Post
Nice work.
I've fiddled a bit with b&w print illustrations in ebooks; I like to get the background white instead of the light grey that the original scans normally have. I use Imagemagick, so I can do batch operations on all images at once, get fairly decent results. If you run the images through
Code:
convert file.png -level 20%,85% new-file.png
you get a white background and clearer black lines. You can also sharpen the images a bit, if you like:
Code:
convert file.png -level 20%,85% -unsharp 0.7x0.7+3+0 new-file.png
(That's the parameters I found worked for the images in this book)
Thanks, SBT. That's an interesting suggestion. I'll have a look at Imagemagick.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:09 AM   #9
Spinnenmonat
Guru
Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 Kindle Voyage 3G
Hi, Alex, i thank you for your wonderful work of this E-book. It has been already difficult for us to find out any shortcomings of this book. But if the cover could be changed, it will make your book perfect.
Spinnenmonat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:03 AM   #10
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnenmonat View Post
Hi, Alex, i thank you for your wonderful work of this E-book. It has been already difficult for us to find out any shortcomings of this book. But if the cover could be changed, it will make your book perfect.
Thanks, Spinnenmonat, and welcome to MobileRead Forum.

Actually, I quite like the cover, even though it has the protagonist with a moustache unlike the other images. And I couldn't find a better cover anyway.

I'd certainly be happy to look at any cover you can find.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:36 AM   #11
SBT
Fanatic
SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-t1, tablet, Nook Simple, assorted kindles, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnenmonat View Post
I played around with Gimp a bit and tried to clean up the cover image - feel free to use it (or not), Alex
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cover.png
Views:	566
Size:	435.7 KB
ID:	87467   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cover_original.png
Views:	578
Size:	409.1 KB
ID:	87468  
SBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:18 AM   #12
Spinnenmonat
Guru
Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 Kindle Voyage 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBT View Post
I played around with Gimp a bit and tried to clean up the cover image - feel free to use it (or not), Alex
Hi, SBT, it looks much much better! Actually I love the picture, but there is something unclear in it, and it seems a little weird in my device. In my opinion you have solved the problem, thank you for your work and also for the wonderful work of Alex!
Spinnenmonat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:44 AM   #13
AlexBell
Wizard

Thanks to you both. SBT, I'll send you a private message in a moment to ask if you could send me the new cover in a version 800px high.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:48 AM   #14
AlexBell
Wizard

I apologise for the delayed response, but want to let people who want a better cover know:
- I have found a much better cover image on Google Images by search with The Woman in White Book Cover
- SBT has sent me a marvellous collection of the images in the ebook which he has made more distinct, and has reduced the size of image to less than half the size in kilobytes. I really appreciate the work he has done
- I am caught up in a couple of urgent projects right now, but will upload another ePub version of The Woman in White just as soon as I can get the time.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:15 PM   #15
AlexBell
Wizard

Here is version 4, with a new cover page, and the internal images greatly improved by SBT. Many thanks to all.

Attached Files
File Type: epub The Woman in White.epub (2.14 MB, 623 views)