Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 08-04-2010, 11:30 AM   #1
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 with Moon+ Reader app
Samsung Galaxy S: Captivate, Vibrant, Epic 4G, Fascinate

(I realize two of the phones listed in the title have not been released in the US yet, but I wanted to include them for future discussions)

Is anyone on here using one of Samsung's Galaxy S phones? I'm very interested in using one as my e-reading device. Up to now, I've always used Palm OS PDAs. The screen is going on the hummer on my Tungsten E2, and I'm seriously considering a smartphone.

I'm mostly interested in the Samsung because of that Super AMOLED screen. I've seen it outdoors twice now, and I'm impressed with how it handles bright sunlight. How well does it work for reading in the dark? I routinely read in bed while my wife is sleeping; I just turn the brightness down and turn the background to black and the text to grey. Will this be possible with the Galaxy S, or is the screen too bright?

We only have one computer, so I'd like to use it for browsing the internet as well. How well does it work for that? Can you watch a half-hour, one-hour, or two-hour video on it? Is it easy to use for on-screen typing? Would it be possible to type, say, a 2- or 3-page essay on it?

I realize this is a lot of questions all at once, but I do appreciate any help you can give me.
SlowRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2010, 12:09 PM   #2
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I too am interested in the Galaxy S, (Facinate).

Yes there is a way do dim down the screen. However changing background color is up toe the application. I know that FBReader does, but am not sure about the Kindle.

One of the best features of the Samsung Super AMOLED screen is that the black is "true" black. They claim that it does not use ANY light, it is also their argument for why the battery life will be extended.

I guess what I am saying is if you change your text color to gray and your background to black, you don't have to turn down your screen brightness since the screen will not emit much light.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:16 PM   #3
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Microsoft Surface Pro 3
I have an HTC EVO 4G, and I love reading on it. I am used to reading on smaller format phones, and the large (4.3") screen is wonderful. HOWEVER, one thing that never showed up in any of the reviews I read is that it's nearly worthless in bright sunlight.

Since I have a full featured golf range finder app, I'm a little disappointed that it’s almost useless on the golf course, much less trying to read on it. Perhaps the Galaxy’s AMOLED screen is better.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:54 PM   #4
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Since I have a full featured golf range finder app, I'm a little disappointed that it’s almost useless on the golf course, much less trying to read on it. Perhaps the Galaxy’s AMOLED screen is better.
My friend uses a pretty nice golf range finder app on his iPhone 3GS-but for him its not the screen, its the battery life that kills him. Can the EVO last a full 18 holes (3+ hours) on the course? (he thinks its the GPS that is the culprit)
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:00 PM   #5
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Microsoft Surface Pro 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
My friend uses a pretty nice golf range finder app on his iPhone 3GS-but for him its not the screen, its the battery life that kills him. Can the EVO last a full 18 holes (3+ hours) on the course? (he thinks its the GPS that is the culprit)
I don't really know, since I can't see the screen in the bright sun I've never used it for a full round. I used to have a Palm Pre, and with the OLED screen it worked pretty well and easily went 18 holes with half the battery left when done. Unfortunately it had too many other issues to keep it.

The golf app I have is Golf Card Pro ($10 on the Android Market), and it is VERY full featured.

I keep GPS and Blutooth on all of the time on the EVO, and normally get more than 12 hours battery time with light to moderate use before it drops below 20%.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2010, 04:02 AM   #6
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Coolreader(Nexus 5)\Coolreader(Nook Touch)
I have the international version of the galaxy s. It is readable even in direct sunlight.
So you can use it out doors unlike an OLED screen.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:08 AM   #7
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
The Galaxy is nice in almost every respect. But, unfortunately, they made the screen too small. 4.3" to 5" and I would get it right away.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:21 AM   #8
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
I have the international version of the galaxy s.
Is that called the i9000? The i9000 is what's available to me here in Taiwan. Does Singapore have a model with a keyboard? Apparently the Taiwanese aren't big on keyboards, so the Galaxy S doesn't have a keyboard here.

Have you tried yours in complete dark, with the background set to black and the text to grey? One person I talked to said they thought it would still be too bright to read with this way. Since reading like this in the dark is something I do often, this is of chief interest to me. My Palm Tungsten E2 was too bright as well, but someone created an extra way to control the brightness, which I downloaded and use quite often.

Last edited by SlowRain; 08-05-2010 at 10:25 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:09 AM   #9
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRain View Post
Is that called the i9000? The i9000 is what's available to me here in Taiwan. Does Singapore have a model with a keyboard? Apparently the Taiwanese aren't big on keyboards, so the Galaxy S doesn't have a keyboard here.

Have you tried yours in complete dark, with the background set to black and the text to grey? One person I talked to said they thought it would still be too bright to read with this way. Since reading like this in the dark is something I do often, this is of chief interest to me. My Palm Tungsten E2 was too bright as well, but someone created an extra way to control the brightness, which I downloaded and use quite often.
The keyboard version is not out yet. Not anywhere.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:54 AM   #10
skyline
Enthusiast
skyline will become famous soon enoughskyline will become famous soon enoughskyline will become famous soon enoughskyline will become famous soon enoughskyline will become famous soon enoughskyline will become famous soon enough

Device: none
If you haven't tried it yet, disabling auto-brightness and setting it manually to the maximum might improve your visibility under direct sunlight.
If the size of the screen is not a problem then these new smartphones are really excellent for browsing and reading emails, and they can be used as readers of course. The best application for Android is Aldiko and if your device is "rooted" you might want to use "Leds Hack" from android market while reading.

Last edited by skyline; 08-06-2010 at 03:57 AM.
skyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:40 AM   #11
SlowRain
Addict

HansTWN, do you know if the keyboard model will come to Taiwan?
Old 08-07-2010, 12:28 AM   #12
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRain View Post
HansTWN, do you know if the keyboard model will come to Taiwan?
No idea yet. Most locals do prefer handwriting over keyboards, though. On the other hand, the Touch Pro 2 (what I have now) is still available. (But I also think the keyboard version Epic 4G of the Samsung will only have a 3.7 inch screen?) If you cannot find the Samsung Epic 4G locally you can always try Expansys. I also don't know if the Samsung's 4G will work with local WiMax networks.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:40 AM   #13
SlowRain
Addict

Thanks.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:34 AM   #14
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Coolreader(Nexus 5)\Coolreader(Nook Touch)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
No idea yet. Most locals do prefer handwriting over keyboards, though. On the other hand, the Touch Pro 2 (what I have now) is still available. (But I also think the keyboard version Epic 4G of the Samsung will only have a 3.7 inch screen?) If you cannot find the Samsung Epic 4G locally you can always try Expansys. I also don't know if the Samsung's 4G will work with local WiMax networks.
nope epic 4g is also going to be 4inc. All variations of samsung galaxy s are going to be 4inc
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:04 PM   #15
SlowRain
Addict

Dopedangel, have you had any problems with your Galaxy S (Is it the i9000?), or have you heard of any quality issues? Samsung has had issues in the past of not supporting their devices, and they'd never been a major player in the high-end smartphone market until the Galaxy S came along. So, while I love that Super AMOLED screen, I'm approaching this purchase with caution.

Tags
samsung, super amoled