Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-01-2010, 06:02 AM   #1
icq70610
Enthusiast
icq70610 will become famous soon enoughicq70610 will become famous soon enoughicq70610 will become famous soon enoughicq70610 will become famous soon enoughicq70610 will become famous soon enoughicq70610 will become famous soon enough

Device: PSR505
Number of books / size managed with Calibre

Hi folks,

I came a across a couple of thoughts that I wanted to share and a couple of questions.

1) how many books you guys have and whats the size of your calibre folder? my numbers are: 1628 books / 2.65 GB

2) what is your experience on managing larger numbers?

the reason why I ask is simple I collected 10000 of Mangas over the years and having them nicely organized in Comic Libraries Im not realy into importing them into Calibre because I fear it becomes a mess in organization and makes it almost impossible finding something to read. currently I even have stored searches to exclude the 500+ scientific documents allready in calibre. but merging them with novels, and normal books is not really usefull.

how you folks are handling this?

just share your experience.

Joe
icq70610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:39 AM   #2
tdk987
tdk987 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Collection over 4GB, not counting PDFs; I use tags mainly. I actually rarely use the desktop app for reading, I just use the iPhone one which allows easy sorting by Author, series, etc.
tdk987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2010, 06:56 AM   #3
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
1595 books, 787 MB, mainly epub.

I don't do much to them in calibre after the metadata is right. All are in the reader. I let Calibre sync metadata now and then, and upload new works to the device.

No problems.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:57 AM   #4
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
What about using more than one library with calibre ?

Manga library
Science library
others library
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 07:18 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by icq70610 View Post
1) how many books you guys have and whats the size of your calibre folder? my numbers are: 1628 books / 2.65 GB
My library has 2330 books taking up 1.5G of space. All of my covers are 600x800 and 2225 of the books are epub.

Quote:
Im not realy into importing them into Calibre because I fear it becomes a mess in organization and makes it almost impossible finding something to read.
With the tags, saved searches, restricted views I don't see how the organization can be a mess.

Quote:
currently I even have stored searches to exclude the 500+ scientific documents allready in calibre. but merging them with novels, and normal books is not really usefull.
So you are already versed in saved searches, you can also have restricted views of your library and if you must, there is now the easy option of accessing multiple libraries via the book icon in the top bar.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2010, 11:27 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
1041 books with at least 1 format (EPUB, typically). Many with multiple formats (1 that was selected for the original convert).
1.18GB

I say a 1T internal drive the othe day. Price $60 US
I paid more than that for a box(10) of 1.2M floppies in the old days of computers.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:52 AM   #7
chrisix
Enthusiast
chrisix began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
19815 books 89GB most of them PDF, Calibre takes some Minutes to start.

I don't know why it scans all of them at startup?
chrisix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 12:15 PM   #8
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
1030 books; 1.16gb...each book typically has 2 formats...epub and mobi...occasionally a 3rd format if it started off as lit or pdb...only a handful of PDF's since I try to avoid them.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 12:36 PM   #9
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
About 900 books, taking up 0.60 gb. I have some PDFs too but have not imported those in. I gave up on graphic novels after a brief experiment when I got the iPad. Just not my thing. So the PDFs are mostly articles, and I don't want to clutter Calibre with them.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 12:45 PM   #10
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I say a 1T internal drive the othe day. Price $60 US
I paid more than that for a box(10) of 1.2M floppies in the old days of computers.
Gets depressing, doesn't it? I remember paying between $350 and $400 for my first CDRW drive...
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 01:18 PM   #11
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnightowl View Post
Gets depressing, doesn't it? I remember paying between $350 and $400 for my first CDRW drive...
I remember meeting with an entrepreneur trying to sell a program for identity verification to the state. The program stored images and needed a large HD. He proudly told us how he'd spent $10,000 for a 100 MB drive (the largest being sold).
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre