Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-20-2010, 04:57 AM   #1
italianReader
Connoisseur
italianReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.italianReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.italianReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.italianReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: onyx boox 60
What about samsung e60

I don't see this model in the e-reader matrix and i would like to know your opinion.

Here is a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSAGS...layer_embedded

Here are some information about it:

http://www.hardwaresphere.com/2010/0...-ebook-reader/

Thank you
italianReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:43 AM   #2
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
It looks cool but if the price is still $299 US then it won't work out. For it to compete in the market, the price needs to be $100 - $150 US.
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2010, 01:58 PM   #3
italianReader
Connoisseur
italianReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.italianReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.italianReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.italianReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: onyx boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetareticuli View Post
It looks cool but if the price is still $299 US then it won't work out. For it to compete in the market, the price needs to be $100 - $150 US.
Really?

I can't find the technical specifications for it, but i think that is quite similar to the onyx boox that in europe you can't buy for less than 300 € (+ shipping cost ...).

I'm asking about the samsung because some friends of mine would like to buy an e-book reader and this one seems to be the only product that is worth its money (329 €).
italianReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:42 AM   #4
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

I don't know anything about European prices for electronic reading devices. However, I can tell you that in the US (where I live), the price of $299 US would be very high for this reader, especially now when most vendors have lowered their prices.
Old 07-25-2010, 04:59 AM   #5
Redfox
aka Anne Lyle
Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I'm very interested in the Samsung, because they make nice hardware and the handwriting functionality looks very slick. Unfortunately, despite promises of a July debut in the UK, I can't find it for sale (or even pre-order) anywhere

The latest news is that they have pulled it from the US market because they can't compete on price with the Kindle, Nook, etc.
Redfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2010, 08:06 PM   #6
zetareticuli
Addict

I think that Samsung must find a way to lower the price of this device if they want to stay competitive. If they can't find a way to sell it for under $200 US, then very few people would even consider buying it.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:38 AM   #7
Redfox
aka Anne Lyle
Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I emailed Samsung to ask if they had any news on a release date, and this is the reply:

Quote:
Thank you for contacting Samsung Electronics UK.

We do not have any information regarding the release of this unit. Please check our website for any future updates.
So, don't hold your breath...
Old 07-27-2010, 12:03 PM   #8
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
They have them in stores in Italy. I held one in my hands last week in a store. The screen is nice - better contrast and less glare than the SONY PRS900 I am currently using. The device feel light yet robust - and, at least for my subjective taste, very pretty.

But one thing just turned me off - the way the screen 'flashes' when you turn pages. It 's like we have gone back to the first first ereaders on the market - VERY noticeable and clearly slower than the other current gen readers. I never thought it could bother me THAT much, but you have to try it - it really is a dealbreaker, at least for me.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:46 PM   #9
Redfox
aka Anne Lyle

Interesting - I went back and looked at some reviews on YouTube and you're right, the flash is noticeably slower. A pity, as Samsung usually make good hardware, in my experience. My Samsung UMPC was really nice, apart from the fact that the hardware wasn't terribly well supported under Ubuntu.

At least now I don't feel so bad that we're apparently not getting them in the UK. I'm waiting in nervous anticipation for my Sony PRS-600...
Old 07-27-2010, 06:34 PM   #10
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I have been waiting for the 10" Samsung, that's why I have been keeping an eye out for them. But I am not sure what happened... at some point, the 6" and 10" Samsung readers were announced as a 'contemporaneous release', but now there seems to be no trace of the 10" one...

Either way, if the screen is the same, I won't be getting it...
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:10 AM   #11
singingbird
Enthusiast
singingbird doesn't littersingingbird doesn't littersingingbird doesn't litter

Device: samsung sne60
I have a samsung sne60 - and while the screen flashes, my concern is that I am having difficulty uploading books on it! I have checked the korean website for updates...i wonder if anyone out there has had success putting more than just Guttenberg files on.
singingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:21 AM   #12
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
singingbird

Welcome to mobileread .....

Does the manual give any clues as to reading formats allowed ?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:49 AM   #13
singingbird
Enthusiast
singingbird doesn't littersingingbird doesn't littersingingbird doesn't litter

Device: samsung sne60
Thanx for the welcome!!

There is an online manual which says that epub and pdf are supported; my problem is that when I buy a book that is saved in digital editions, I don't have an option to then put them onto the reader. Elsewhere on MobileRead I have seen people use Calibre to reformat files, but that hasn't been successful for me.

In June I sent a message to Barnes and Noble, who have been mentioned as supporting the samsung model - they replied with a standard we'd love to but we're not going to yet - now that samsung aren't releasing readers in the US, I wonder what English bookstore will come to the rescue?!!!
singingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:19 AM   #14
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
You buy your book through ADE ?

Can you not purchase without involving ADE ?

[forgive the ignorance, but I'm trying to imagine something I have little experience with - ADE and the e60]
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:59 AM   #15
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
you should contact the ade support people and samsung to make sure it is recognized by digital editions.

when you plug your reader in with usb to the computer and start digital editions it should try to register the reader.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote