Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-13-2010, 10:15 AM   #1
scheichxodox
Zealot
scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
SiPix panel production is about to start

From here I just read that SiPix EPD production yield rates are about to reach 80-85% in August-September. Here is the original Digitimes article.

Does that mean they finally are done with their production problems and we get to see the new Ebook readers (Asus DR-900, Copia, Jinke A9, etc)? That would be great news.

Corresponding to the quality of SiPix panels compared with E-Ink I looked up Google News for Sipix and found this and this (both links are translated via Google). It looks like there is a device out (in China?) and they have two great comparison shots between Sipix and E-Ink.

Greetz

Scheich Xodox

Last edited by scheichxodox; 07-13-2010 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Added the comparison shots between SiPix and E-Ink
scheichxodox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:20 AM   #2
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Huzzah for cheaper, inferior screens.

Too bad Asus was leaning that direction with their DR900.

If the article is accurate, then it seems some of those mediocre devices shown earlier this year might actually come to market in time for the holiday season and in time for another big showing of nothing special at CES next year.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2010, 07:37 PM   #3
harryE123
Banned
harryE123 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex reader
Eink is bad enough as is, why would one save a few tens of dollars or euros and go for an even more inferior option than current tech is beyond me. Of course people where buying net books en masse... And asus was responsible for the crappiest of these. Quite a pedigree they have...
harryE123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:49 PM   #4
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
I am quite pleased with both of my EEE PCs. They are reliable and portable, which is why I bought them.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:14 PM   #5
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
I have an Asus eeePC and love it. Of course, I love my 3-legged dog, too, so what do I know?
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2010, 02:22 AM   #6
Mr. Dalliard
Zealot
Mr. Dalliard began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Too little too late - plastic Pearl is here.
Mr. Dalliard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:10 AM   #7
scheichxodox
Zealot
scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Pearl isn't based on plastic substrate. That's the only thing I'm really waiting for. Plastic screens from E-Ink are announced for 2011.

Greetz

Scheich Xodox
Old 07-14-2010, 04:45 AM   #8
pwjone1
Bookie
pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by scheichxodox View Post
Pearl isn't based on plastic substrate. That's the only thing I'm really waiting for. Plastic screens from E-Ink are announced for 2011.

Greetz

Scheich Xodox
E-Ink track record on predicting delivery dates (plastic screens, color), isn't all that good.

But I generally find it encouraging to see competition in this segment develop, that's usually a good thing for the consumer. And if cheaper isn't initially better, that's still an option. The eReaders need to get cheaper if the general populace is going to buy them.
pwjone1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:53 AM   #9
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Where does that come from anyway, that SiPix is worse than e-ink?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:03 AM   #10
nashira
Addict
nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Not sure but I think it has something to do with the screenshots in the links in the third paragraph of the original post? The e-ink appears to have cleaner lines.
nashira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:35 AM   #11
harryE123
Banned
harryE123 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Everywhere, with the biggest drawback being the much reduced contrast.

As for the people that love their ee pcs I am happy for them, I loved mine for a couple of months befor the supposed SSD became far too laggy to use, the fact that I loved it doesn't mean though that it wasn't a piece of junk. What Steve jobs has said about net books is true, they can do a lot of things but they cannot do anything well. On the other hand I love my iPad too and it's clearly not junk. Let's face it asus are not into quality offerings, they are about half baked cheap stuff that can do some tasks adequately, and this ereader is no different of course.

the only reason that it might have a purpose is that amazon are shooting themselves in the feet by crippling the finctionality of the kindles, and that apple are not in the eink device segment.
harryE123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 05:24 AM   #12
scheichxodox
Zealot

I found some more pictures in a russian discussion board. Here is the translated thread (via Google Translate) with those pictures:
Sipix vs. Vizplex
Sipix vs. Vizplex (only the screens)
Sipix compared with a white background and perfect lighting conditions

Now the Sipix screen doesn't look that bad. It's background may be darker than the E-Ink's background but if you compare the blacks, especially on the second picture on top (the battery symbol on the Sipix and "NOOK Tour" on the E-Ink) then it looks better.

Comparison shots with Pearl would be great. And still no information if it has a plastic or a glass backplane. If the Sipix screens would be more durable and not so easy breakable as the E-Ink screens, I would be sold right away.

Greetz

Scheich Xodox
Old 08-01-2010, 05:30 AM   #13
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by scheichxodox View Post
I found some more pictures in a russian discussion board. Here is the translated thread (via Google Translate) with those pictures:
Sipix vs. Vizplex
Sipix vs. Vizplex (only the screens)
Sipix compared with a white background and perfect lighting conditions

Now the Sipix screen doesn't look that bad. It's background may be darker than the E-Ink's background but if you compare the blacks, especially on the second picture on top (the battery symbol on the Sipix and "NOOK Tour" on the E-Ink) then it looks better.

Comparison shots with Pearl would be great. And still no information if it has a plastic or a glass backplane. If the Sipix screens would be more durable and not so easy breakable as the E-Ink screens, I would be sold right away.

Greetz

Scheich Xodox
My Sipix screen is a bit grayer than my e-ink screen but the contrast is the same (I won't compare sharpness, as one is a 5", the other a 6" and both have the same resolution, ergo the 5" will always be sharper). And it has a plastic substrate.

Oh, and the Pearl screen will arrive somewhere in September (I hope)...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 05:44 AM   #14
scheichxodox
Zealot

You don't happen to have a Kindle DX Graphite somewhere near you so that you can make a comparison shot.

When you say the contrast is the same, this means, that the font has to be darker, right? Why are you so sure about the plastic substrate? I read here and here that the screens which were shown on fairs (e.g. Asus DR-900) had a glass backplane.

Greetz

Scheich Xodox
Old 08-01-2010, 07:41 AM   #15
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
I am quite pleased with both of my EEE PCs. They are reliable and portable, which is why I bought them.
Early adopter models like 701 were not a great thing, sadly. I say it as the owner of one.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote