Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-01-2010, 03:59 AM   #1
colonel
Enthusiast
colonel began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Scrambled screen

So I left my nook in screensaver last night, when I took it out on the train this morning to finish my book the screen was scrambled (bits of the screensaver left, but combined with loads of horizontal lines and blank pieces).

The battery was previously indicating low, but not near empty.

Subsequently I have tried the 20 second button reboot
Taking out the battery
Puting on mains with the battery out

Now I have put the battery back in, and am charging (orange light is on).

note that the screen has changed a bit during my various procedures, but is still scrambled

I will see what happens after a few hours ....

anyone had this and knows how to correct ?
colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:03 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Can you upload a picture? From what you're describing, I'm afraid that it sounds very much as though you've fractured the screen substrate - the thin layer of glass that's under the outer plastic screen. We can tell immediately if you post a picture; it has a very characteristic appearance.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2010, 05:30 AM   #3
colonel
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Can you upload a picture? From what you're describing, I'm afraid that it sounds very much as though you've fractured the screen substrate - the thin layer of glass that's under the outer plastic screen. We can tell immediately if you post a picture; it has a very characteristic appearance.
I doubt it, as it is kept in a hard cover and was untouched from when I put it away (fine) to when I opened it (scrambled)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nook_IMAG0002.jpg
Views:	1372
Size:	581.9 KB
ID:	54352  
Old 07-01-2010, 05:33 AM   #4
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Have you switched it on, now you've re-inserted the battery and re-charged ?
(Just thinking it might refresh the screen)
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:01 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm afraid that's an absolutely classic picture of a broken substrate. The crack in the screen substrate is the diagonal line running down to the left, opposite the "<" mark on the left side of the case. This is not a warranty repair - it'll need a new screen.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Advert
Old 07-01-2010, 06:07 AM   #6
colonel
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm afraid that's an absolutely classic picture of a broken substrate. The crack in the screen substrate is the diagonal line running down to the left, opposite the "<" mark on the left side of the case. This is not a warranty repair - it'll need a new screen.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
thanks for looking
well rebooting has made no difference
the thing is, I did nothing so I would expect them to replace under warranty
if they didn't I would be very annoyed
also, if they didn't, I wouldn't get another one. If the screen is so fragile it would smash whilst inside an expensive nook hard cover, then its far too delicate for me

I am in UK, so will give to someone going to NY next week to take back to the BN store in NY I bought it from
Old 07-01-2010, 06:29 AM   #7
bleugh
Enthusiast
bleugh began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Screen's broken!, simple

Not likely for B&N to fix, it's not so easy to fix yourself either..

replacement screens go for around $150 AU dollars - a hundred quid or so

now the wifi versions dropped to $150 US, you're far better off getting a new one!,
bleugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:30 AM   #8
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
we learn something new everyday .... i hadn't spotted the diagonal .... thanks ...

hope you get a satisfactory resolution ... seems strange if it was in the case ... worrying !
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:06 AM   #9
colonel
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleugh View Post
Screen's broken!, simple

Not likely for B&N to fix, it's not so easy to fix yourself either..

replacement screens go for around $150 AU dollars - a hundred quid or so

now the wifi versions dropped to $150 US, you're far better off getting a new one!,
i would expect a replacement
its a manufacturing defect, as I treated it with kid gloves
Old 07-02-2010, 01:45 AM   #10
bleugh
Enthusiast
bleugh began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel View Post
i would expect a replacement
its a manufacturing defect, as I treated it with kid gloves
You can try but, it's not an ideal world out there :-( they'll say you dropped it, you'll say you didn't

they'll win!

I'd flesh out your somewhat vague sequence of events if you do try B&N

"So I left my nook in screensaver last night, when I took it out on the train this morning to finish my book the screen was scrambled (bits of the screensaver left, but combined with loads of horizontal lines and blank pieces)."

Just imagine the B&N employee asking

...took out of 'what'?, was it loose in a bag, what else is in the bag?
was it in a protective case?
if it was a protective case, may we see the receipt.......
bleugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:59 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

This is a physical break in the screen, and the line taken by all the manufacturers is that it doesn't just happen on its own, and that it's therefore your fault, and not covered by warranty.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:18 AM   #12
colonel
Enthusiast

I fail to see why I should pay for a faulty device
I will see their response next week

Last edited by colonel; 07-02-2010 at 08:13 AM.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:35 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Good luck. Please do let us know the outcome.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:15 AM   #14
colonel
Enthusiast

ok guys, thanks for all the negative waves

I took it back to the B&N store.
They had a quick look and swapped it for a new one.

I always thought B&N service is great, one reason I bought this (also retail store rather then just web buy), and they came up trumps.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:48 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

You were very lucky!