Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 06-28-2010, 10:45 PM   #1
Ron46
Zealot
Ron46 doesn't litterRon46 doesn't litter

Device: JetbookLite, EB-1150, PalmIIIXE
New Jetbook Lite Firmware today

JBL 15G firmware got posted today (http://jetbook.net/upgrade.php) but the instructions have not been updated. The process is the same EXCEPT now you start with a freshly formatted FAT SD card (not FAT 32) like before, but copy over the folder named Firmware (only). There is no Data folder and no Reflash NOR folder anymore. It must not need the other two folders because my reflash was successful.

I don't know what improvements this upgrade does yet, and of course, since Ectaco is one of the last software companies in the world that does not believe in release notes or that the customer has a need to know, we will be left to discover the features ourselves.
Ron46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:24 PM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Interesting, There are a few differences between this Official upgrade v0.15g and the
one found a few days ago, and that several of us already have flashed to our JBLs.

The name of the .bin file is the same: "jetBook-Lite-v0.15g.bin" for both.
The "older" one with a Date modified of 6/25/2010 4:36 PM
The "newer/official" one with a Date Modified of 6/25/2010 5:36 AM

The "older"/ un-official" update came in a self extracting zip (.exe) file that included
all the normal folders.

The mystery continues...

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 06-28-2010 at 11:37 PM. Reason: File sizes read the same using WinRAR to view them both
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2010, 11:35 PM   #3
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Interesting, There are a few differences between this Official upgrade v0.15g and the
one found a few days ago, and that several of us already have flashed to our JBLs.

The name of the .bin file is the same: "jetBook-Lite-v0.15g.bin" for both.
The "older" one is 52,290 KB with a Date modified of 6/25/2010 4:36 PM
The "newer/official" one is 54,239,315 with a Date Modified of 6/25/2010 5:36 AM

The "older"/ un-official" update came in a self extracting zip (.exe) file that included
all the normal folders.

The mystery continues...

Luck;
Ken
Sigh.

Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:47 PM   #4
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ron46;
What does your JBL say for the Firmware and Patch?
With the "old" 0.15g update the Patch went from v15 to v16, for me.
(But I updated from the 0.15 firmware not the 0.15d or 0.15d-b.)

Luck;
Ken
Old 06-29-2010, 07:02 AM   #5
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
For the record, Ectaco (specifically <paulfeo@ectaco.com>) told me (via email) that this upgrade is a bug fix.

How long should this one take? Mine has been going over 15 minutes and I don't recall others taking quite so long...
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2010, 08:30 AM   #6
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
I reset it and redid the firmware install. Finished in about 10 minutes this time.

Machine just started up perfectly
Firmware
Software: v0.15g
Patch v16
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 11:22 AM   #7
dougf4
Connoisseur
dougf4 has learned how to read e-booksdougf4 has learned how to read e-booksdougf4 has learned how to read e-booksdougf4 has learned how to read e-booksdougf4 has learned how to read e-booksdougf4 has learned how to read e-booksdougf4 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook Tablet (Rooted), jetbook lite
I just received my JBL on Saturday and it has 15d, patch V 15 installed.

Things seem fine so I am in no hurry to upgrade.

Question - do you have to use a blank card to upgrade or will one that is populated with other files (books) be OK?

Seems I've seen comments on this elsewhere but can't recall the specifics.

Thanks in advance!

Doug
dougf4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:22 PM   #8
Ron46
Zealot
Ron46 doesn't litterRon46 doesn't litter

Device: JetbookLite, EB-1150, PalmIIIXE
Ken- I can't answer that question because I'm in the process of flashing back to D right now. The device no longer remembers font size OR where you left off reading if you enter from the main menu. Goes to size 16, page 1 every time on mine. I plan to post a warning thread after I find out the results of the back flash. I regret posting the update notification without evaluating first.
Ron46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:35 PM   #9
CyberSmoke53
Enthusiast
CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
I flashed .15g Sunday using the original version on the Ftp server then. My jetbook lite was killed! At that time the .15g was a self-extracting zip with Data, Firmware, and Reflash_Nor folders. Linux appeared to be wiped out on the device and afterwards the jetbook lite had no internal memory, or local drives and the device can only recognize an SD card to do a flash upgrade.. go figure. I tried to reflash back down to plain .15 and the local drive appeared again but I had no memory and the books app couldn't locate any books. My book SD card would not load its file structure. After any attempt to use the device it would freeze up.

Its now on its way back to Ectaco... rip little jetbook lite.

BTW I noticed this am that the current .15g is a zip with only the firmware folder.. l
CyberSmoke53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:59 PM   #10
Mephisto786
Mephisto786 began at the beginning.

Device: jetbook lite
Does someone know, if the new version supports the "table of contents"-function in ePub files?
Mephisto786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 04:48 PM   #11
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberSmoke53 View Post
I flashed .15g Sunday using the original version on the Ftp server then. My jetbook lite was killed! At that time the .15g was a self-extracting zip with Data, Firmware, and Reflash_Nor folders. Linux appeared to be wiped out on the device and afterwards the jetbook lite had no internal memory, or local drives and the device can only recognize an SD card to do a flash upgrade.. go figure. I tried to reflash back down to plain .15 and the local drive appeared again but I had no memory and the books app couldn't locate any books. My book SD card would not load its file structure. After any attempt to use the device it would freeze up.

Its now on its way back to Ectaco... rip little jetbook lite.

BTW I noticed this am that the current .15g is a zip with only the firmware folder.. l
You could throw away your USB cable. Using the JBL's USB interface for
anything besides messing with the built-in user data memory, is a bad idea.

To be safe, you should use a blank SD chip formatted to FAT16, for updates.
(I have used FAT32 formatted SD chips for updating with no problems, but it
is easy enough to do a quick re-format to FAT16.) You should use FAT32 for
your ebook SD(s) though.

It is also very unlikely that you could not just reset and re-flash properly to
recover from a bad flash with any ARM based device. At the most you would
just remove the batteries and hold the reset, to thoroughly discharge the JBL
and then start over.

Luck;
Ken
Old 06-29-2010, 04:56 PM   #12
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephisto786 View Post
Does someone know, if the new version supports the "table of contents"-function in ePub files?
Not with any that I've tried.

It appears that the earlier suggestion that this 0.15g update would add the
same features as the new regular Jetbook (0.35a), was not accurate.

Luck;
Ken
Old 06-29-2010, 06:13 PM   #13
Pranananda
Connoisseur
Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.

Device: ipad, iPod touch, JetBook Lite
I'm glad there are a few pioneers here who are willing to take a few arrows for the rest of us. Thanks all.
Pranananda is offline   Reply With Quote