Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-13-2010, 07:52 PM   #1
rahulm
Zealot
rahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: None
Any news on next-gen readers from Sony?

I'm super close to pulling the trigger on a PRS600 (upgrade from 505) and I'm not sure if I should wait. The 505 works perfectly fine so it's not like I'll be without a reader.

Should I wait? Has there been any leaks about new readers? What do you guys think I should do?
rahulm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:27 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Yes, wait. Supposedly the new higher contrast/faster eink screens should be out later this year.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2010, 08:29 PM   #3
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
The prices seem to be going down, which may be a good sign, but don't they usually do their unveilings in October. I'm really hoping they'll have something new to wow us with this year!
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 09:07 PM   #4
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Has anyone come up with any rationale for Sony's decision to discontinue the 505?
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 09:12 PM   #5
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Insanity?
Advert
Old 06-14-2010, 12:55 AM   #6
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
Has anyone come up with any rationale for Sony's decision to discontinue the 505?
Ha ha. An easy one. Strip some features and sell for the same price but sell as brandnew so everyone thinks "new is better". Add some features and charge more because it's more advanced. (Ok, I'm being sarcastic here. No good reasons to discontinue 505!!!)
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:02 PM   #7
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
I'm pretty damn sure the 505's discontinuing willn't matter after the next generation of reads comes out. A PRS-300-esque 6-inch screen with the touch layer and the refresh speed of the 600/900 would blow the 505 out of the water, into the barrel, detonate the barrel, and then sell the 505's remains at market as sushi.
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:08 PM   #8
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorino View Post
the 505's discontinuing willn't matter after the next generation of reads comes out. A PRS-300-esque 6-inch screen with the touch layer and the refresh speed of the 600/900 would blow the 505 out of the water, into the barrel, detonate the barrel, and then sell the 505's remains at market as sushi.
D, Only if those unnecessary features are important to someone.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:15 PM   #9
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Hey, the notetaking is great. I use it so much. As a student, it's been invaluable. I've saved a few dollars on packs of sticky notes, I'll tell you that!

And faster refresh rate is just great, there's really no downside to that, ya?
Old 06-14-2010, 12:24 PM   #10
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
...A PRS-300-esque 6-inch screen with the touch layer and the refresh speed of the 600/900 would blow the 505 out of the water....
You are merely describing the 600, and there is nothing new about the 600.

If sony wants to get my attention they need to introduce a more legible touch screen device and a Reader Library that works like an application should in Windows and MAC.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:29 PM   #11
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.

jswinden, ideally, my description would have a 600 with the contrast of the 300/505.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:43 PM   #12
rahulm
Zealot
rahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: None
Quote:
jswinden, ideally, my description would have a 600 with the contrast of the 300/505.

you just described my perfect reader
rahulm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:49 PM   #13
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I don't want a touch screen. I can't be the only one who reads while eating Cheetos or doing other things that are very, very bad for touch screens. I like my 505; I want a 510: more internal memory, faster page turns, some respect for author-sort, PRS+ features, etc.

I'm very resistant to companies that try to make me re-buy things that I already have. If something is still working just fine, suited my needs when I bought it, and my needs haven't changed, why should I buy a new one? That's true of (among other things) cars, operating systems ... and ebook readers. I've even stayed married to the same person!
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:52 PM   #14
OrcaBlue
Groupie
OrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
My perfect reader would be Sony with 9.7" screen of next generation e-ink without the resistive touch layer on top to degrade the display quality, yet still have the same touch and functions of PRS 900. That's all I need...
OrcaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:46 PM   #15
rebarnmom
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
I'm very resistant to companies that try to make me re-buy things that I already have. If something is still working just fine, suited my needs when I bought it, and my needs haven't changed, why should I buy a new one? That's true of (among other things) cars, operating systems ... and ebook readers. I've even stayed married to the same person!
Well said! What's the term? Built-in obsolescence? I am so very happy with my Sony 700, I just wish they would give me the dictionary feature. I would even be willing to pay for it.

Staying married to the same person? Sadly, it doesn't seem to be the norm in our disposable society. Your spouse is blessed, as are you!