Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 06-07-2010, 01:30 PM   #1
JimMcLaren
Addict
JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura HD, Pocketbook 302, Pocketbook 912, Nook HD+
Using webkit browser in PB 302

I downloaded the webkit browser Forkosigan posted here. I think as a web browser it's an OK start but it has a lot of problems viewing websites. Most of the ones I want don't work. But I have found a great use for it.

I've been using fbreader to view html files (and downloaded sites) and it works OK. Navigation is limited and every html page I view gets added to the recently read list. But I'm able to read these files with the browser app. Here's the steps I took.
  1. Copy the browser.app into the \\system\bin directory.
  2. Edit the extensions.cfg in the \\system\config directory. Change the following two lines.

htm:@HTML_file:1:fbreader180.app,fbreader.app,brow ser.app:ICON_HTM
    html:@HTML_file:1:fbreader180.app,fbreader.app,bro wser.app:ICON_HTM

3. Now if you have an html file in your booklist press and hold to pull up the menu and select "Open With" and choose the browser.

I use it for some epubs that are too big to load and to browse websites I've downloaded.
JimMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:20 AM   #2
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcLaren View Post
I downloaded the webkit browser Forkosigan posted here. I think as a web browser it's an OK start but it has a lot of problems viewing websites. Most of the ones I want don't work. But I have found a great use for it.

I've been using fbreader to view html files (and downloaded sites) and it works OK. Navigation is limited and every html page I view gets added to the recently read list. But I'm able to read these files with the browser app. Here's the steps I took.
  1. Copy the browser.app into the \\system\bin directory.
  2. Edit the extensions.cfg in the \\system\config directory. Change the following two lines.

htm:@HTML_file:1:fbreader180.app,fbreader.app,brow ser.app:ICON_HTM
    html:@HTML_file:1:fbreader180.app,fbreader.app,bro wser.app:ICON_HTM

3. Now if you have an html file in your booklist press and hold to pull up the menu and select "Open With" and choose the browser.

I use it for some epubs that are too big to load and to browse websites I've downloaded.
Thanks a lot. This is so great!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2010, 08:19 AM   #3
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Does the Browser App work on non-touch screen Pocketbooks?

It would be a welcome addition to the PB360 for downloaded websites.
In that same vein: does it support MHT files?

(HINT!)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:44 PM   #4
JimMcLaren
Addict
JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post

(HINT!)
I don't know about the other pocketbooks but it does not display MHT files. It opens the file as a text file. What you see is what you would see if you opened it in notepad on your PC.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:45 AM   #5
Schnitzelbrain
Groupie
Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux
Quote:

(HINT!)
Well it does and not, it runs but u are not able to use the keys to navigate. I already tried so.
I asked the german support already some days ago if it is possible to convert the interface for button use.
Would be perfect for offline reading, no answer till now
Schnitzelbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2010, 04:59 AM   #6
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnitzelbrain View Post
Well it does and not, it runs but u are not able to use the keys to navigate. I already tried so.
I asked the german support already some days ago if it is possible to convert the interface for button use.
Would be perfect for offline reading, no answer till now
I guess I missed your post. Our people have a look at that.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:19 AM   #7
Schnitzelbrain
Groupie
Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Perfect thanks,
Schnitzelbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:56 AM   #8
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Second the motion for PB360 (and 301) support on the Browser.

MHT rendering would be nice, too.
(I know that's tricker but still...)
Old 06-09-2010, 08:59 AM   #9
mtravellerh
book creator

Quote:

GIK are also looking into OPDS support for the 302 via webkit.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:27 PM   #10
JimMcLaren
Addict

Quote:

I don't think any webkit browser supports MHT files. Do you know of anything besides IE that supports MHT?
Old 06-09-2010, 10:14 PM   #11
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcLaren View Post
I don't think any webkit browser supports MHT files. Do you know of anything besides IE that supports MHT?
Opera.
Thunderbird.
Firefox (via extension.)
(Plus the Microsoft line; IE, Office, etc...)

The big (pocket) boys, basically.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MHTML

Last edited by fjtorres; 06-09-2010 at 10:17 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:11 AM   #12
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Could anyone try out the page: http://onemanga.com and see if it actually renders one of the manga available there?
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:51 PM   #13
polossatik
TheBigFish
polossatik has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.polossatik has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.polossatik has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.polossatik has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.polossatik has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.polossatik has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.polossatik has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.polossatik has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.polossatik has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.polossatik has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.polossatik has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: boox note air / pocketbook 840
I just got my 302, updated to 15.2 and added the webkit browser.
I tested you manga link, it works the main problem is that there seams to be no way to center the actual manga, so it's very "fiddely" to see the actual manga. (need to scroll left /up/down/)

but the image shows up

It might be there is a way to do see this better , but I even cannot get to the menu (like told when you start the browser.app)
polossatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:30 PM   #14
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Thanks, polossatik I guess the idea of snatching meself a PB302 is discarded at the moment, I want a bigger reader for manga but the browser is still immature. Let's see what the definitive version of the browser can render!
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:31 PM   #15
polossatik
TheBigFish
polossatik has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.polossatik has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.polossatik has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.polossatik has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.polossatik has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.polossatik has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.polossatik has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.polossatik has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.polossatik has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.polossatik has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.polossatik has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: boox note air / pocketbook 840
yeah, The browser is really alpha stuff - exited a few times.
I bite the bullet for the Wifi and the fact it's out now , instead of waiting for the 90x series...
It looks like the RSS application on the 320 is also still utterly cr*ppy - which was one of the main reasons I got the 320 instead of any other 6" reader.
I understand this is a E-book reader, but if they want to differentiate themselves with useful additional functionality there seams still to be a lot of work.
polossatik is offline   Reply With Quote