|05-28-2010, 09:19 AM||#1|
Join Date: Sep 2008
Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Thoughts in iPad vs Entourage Edge?
I was offered an opportunity to test the Entourage Edge---not immediately, but within a few months as there are some supply issues with it, but still, within a couple months. I had never considered the Edge before but now that I am looking at it, I am wondering if I should wait on the iPad and try the Edge first. Here are my needs for it:
- Bigger screen than the Kindle to display PDF. Both will do this. The Edge might even have an advantage because of the stylus aspect---I tutor a child who goes through worksheets at a prodigious rate, and the idea that she could write answers on a PDF file directly on a screen rather than force me to print out reams of paper appeals to me.
- Can play MP3 music, powerpoint shows and short video clips. The children look forward to a weekly music day with me where we learn a new song (using Powerpoint), play old favourites (from MP3 files) and finish with a cute little video most of which have been saved from YouTube. I currently run this type of class from an aging netbook which has poor battery life and requires me to carry around extra cables, plus is slow because the children have to sit and wait while Windows boots up. The idea of an all-in-one unit with instant on appeals to me a lot. I think the iPad might be the winner in this category because all my stuff is already in iTunes anyway, but I don't know what options the Edge has.
- I want to be able to read on it too. I don't have a dedicated workspace since I am a specialty teacher, so being able to sit during a break and read without looking like I am goofing off would be nice I think the Edge might have the advantage here because of the e-ink screen, but I know the iPad is easy to use as well.
Other points in favour of the iPad:
- I have a lot of apps for it already since I have an iPod Touch. I might need to buy a few more which will raise the cost a little though
- It is very easy to use and I could be up and running right away since I am used to the iPod Touch. The Edge is a complete question mark to me in terms of usability---might be less intuitive at first and have a learning curve.
- Can buy it today, and retail too. If there are problems, there is a place to take it to in person to get help whereas I have to wait to get the Edge and if there are problems, it will be a pain to send it back to them
- More accessories and third-party add-ons available. Some of these will add to the cost, but they do add up to many choices. I like going with brand names for big purchases because I know there are others using it from whom I can get support.
Other points in favour of the Edge:
- Steeper learning curve, which is a downside, but ultimately is more flexible since it has an SD slot and other expandability options
- I like the idea of being able to use only the power-saving e-ink screen for certain tasks
- The note-taking journal looks cool. But on the iPad I suppose I could just use the Notes app with the virtual keyboard...
I don't know what to do. Can anyone who has tried both (or even tried the Edge but is familiar with the iPad/iPhone platform) comment?
|05-29-2010, 07:22 PM||#2|
Join Date: May 2010
Forget the ipad. A decent netbook or a Tablet PC can do twice the stuff the ipad does twice as fast.
I wouldn't consider the Edge either (except it's the only 9.7" e-reader with annotation). It looks like what would happen if you glued a netbook to a e-reader: worst of both worlds in weight, battery life, functionality.
I'd say check out the HP TM2 Tablet PC.
|05-29-2010, 08:01 PM||#3|
Join Date: Oct 2008
Device: never enough
Why not wait to try out the Edge before making your decision? Getting a hands on tryout would be great. The iPad isn't going anywhere-in fact, it will probably be easier to get your hands on one in a couple months...after you've tested the Edge out for a bit.
Enjoying my iPad, though, even at 1/2 the speed of a decent netbook or Tablet PC
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Sell Entourage Edge||anuragsethi||Flea Market||10||08-09-2010 05:19 PM|
|Ended Entourage Edge||anuragsethi||Flea Market||0||07-12-2010 12:08 AM|
|Entourage Edge||JTAL604622||Calibre||1||06-08-2010 11:07 PM|
|Entourage EDGe||zetareticuli||enTourage eDGe||22||02-05-2010 04:34 PM|
|enTourage Edge||aleks||News||0||01-13-2010 10:46 AM|