Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-25-2010, 08:09 PM   #1
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Question A Question About WiFi

I know that the Kindle has its WhisperNet to download books automatically, but is this an always-on WiFi connection?

What about the Nook and others that advertise WiFi capability? Does that mean that you can connect anywhere, or do you have to be connect via your own home wireless router or a freee hotspot? Or via a connection through your own cell phone?

The locales I'm usually at in the course of the day aren't in the area of any free hotspots, so I was wondering if there is any point in getting a WiFi capable one if there's nothing to connect to.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:10 PM   #2
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3, DXG, Fire · iPad, iPod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
I know that the Kindle has its WhisperNet to download books automatically, but is this an always-on WiFi connection?
It's not always on and it's not WiFi, it's cellular "3G". You can pick up the signal anywhere your ATT cell phone would. Same for the Nook and DR800SG (both connect to Barnes & Noble via cellular). Of course the 3G version of iPads coming out soon are cellular wireless too.

My enTourage eDGe is WiFi and needs a hotspot. I connect mostly through my home wireless router. I'm not sure what other e-readers have WiFi. There are quite a few that have neither 3G nor WiFi, however (like my Cybook).

All of them, 3G or WiFi, have the option to turn the wireless off. That's a must for air travel, after all. And for saving battery life too. I never turn on my Kindle 2's wireless unless there's a purchased book ready for download.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Dellaster; 04-25-2010 at 11:15 PM.
Dellaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2010, 09:15 PM   #3
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
WiFi is cool but it's not available everywhere as you say. 3G is close to ubiquitous. I used my Kindle 2 and the Wikipedia function travelling through the mountains on a bus to Guadalajara recently. WiFi won't get you that!

But also consider this: most of the time you are reading, not downloading. So, generally, there is always lots of stuff already on your ereader even if you're not in range of WiFi or 3G. 24/7 connectivity isn't a "must have".
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:27 PM   #4
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Thank you both for the information. That clarifies the issue for me.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:12 AM   #5
extendedping
Enthusiast
extendedping began at the beginning.

Device: none
I had a similar question (err the same one actually) but I was reading bout the nook (can't remember the sites to be honest) after reading bout the firmware update and could not find any info about a 3g connection, I thought the browser only worked in a hot spot.
so if I am getting this straight, the nook black and white browser has an always on 3g connection like the kindle? or am I misunderstanding this. also if correct, is that connection only to barnes and noble to browse books? cause I want the internet with no restrictions save for the lack of browser capabilities (flash java etc).

thanks.

oh also I want a ssh client...am I asking for too much here?
extendedping is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2010, 12:05 PM   #6
tablettweet
Connoisseur
tablettweet began at the beginning.

Device: IPad 1&2,IPod Touch 4G, DXG, Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle Touch
Here is the map of Kindle 3G coverage for free 3G access from all over the world !
tablettweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:19 AM   #7
ChrisC333
Groupie
ChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it is

Device: Acer eM250 Netbook, iTouch, iRiver Story, HP TM2 Tablet
Confusion about Kindle and Wifi may possibly arise because of the variety of devices that you can use to read Kindle format books from Amazon.

I have the Kindle software installed on 3 different devices, and all three can (and do) download the books using Wifi. None of them are actual Kindle machines though (which use 3G, as mentioned above).

One is an iTouch running the Kindle app - so I use wifi exclusively to get the books onto that. Another is a Tablet computer running Kindle for Windows, and I use Wifi for that one too. The third device is a desktop iMac which could use either wifi or the cable connection to the modem/router.

All three are authorised to my account at the Amazon site so when I've bought a book I can download it to either one or all of them.

I hope that doesn't confuse things.

Cheers,

Chris

Last edited by ChrisC333; 04-29-2010 at 07:41 AM. Reason: typo
ChrisC333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:31 AM   #8
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by extendedping View Post
I had a similar question (err the same one actually) but I was reading bout the nook (can't remember the sites to be honest) after reading bout the firmware update and could not find any info about a 3g connection, I thought the browser only worked in a hot spot.
so if I am getting this straight, the nook black and white browser has an always on 3g connection like the kindle? or am I misunderstanding this. also if correct, is that connection only to barnes and noble to browse books? cause I want the internet with no restrictions save for the lack of browser capabilities (flash java etc).
The Nook browser is only for Wifi.
This is probably because otherwise B&N would have to pay too much for the 3g connection.
The 3g connection can only be used to buy books from the B&N store.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote