Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-17-2010, 12:14 PM   #1
nubux
nubux began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700
Unhappy PRS-700 no signs of life

My PRS-700 shows no signs of life. No lights when plugged into the computer, no lights when plugged into a PSP charger, no status change when I push power or reset in all kinds of combinations. What it shows is the e-ink image of the screen with the words" Enjoy the new revolution in reading", "Starting up..."

I tried a soft reset, a hard reset, and leaving the reader on the PSP charger overnight, and still no signs of life (lights of any kind). I am guessing that maybe the battery is totally dead/dried out, and need to be replaced.

Has anyone had this experience before and does anyone have any recommendations? The unit is out of waranty. If I need to change the battery, I can do it, based on igorsk's post below:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34401

However, I cannot seem to figure out what battery to buy. Is it the same battery as a PRS-500, PRS-505 or what?

Your advice is very much appreciated and thank you in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	starting up.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	49972  

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 04-17-2010 at 01:25 PM. Reason: "so" corrected to "no"
nubux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 01:19 PM   #2
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Search Sony Parts and Accessories.

Enter A1579345A in search field and search by Part Number
Quote:
A1579345A
LITHIUM ION BATTERY ASSY

Currently In Stock: No
Unit Price (in USD):$76.15
(There seems to be none in stock to order but they must be available somewhere.)

Not much help I'm afraid except I've found the original part number. I'm not sure if anyone makes knock-off batteries at a cheaper price. I'm not sure if the batteries are interchangeable between models.

I would call a Sony repair depot and ask if they can supply a battery.

*edit*
A search found one other supplier of part A1579345A. Their site says they will ship within, and almost anywhere outside, the US. I do not know the reputation/reliability of this company.

Last edited by Wetdogeared; 04-17-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2010, 08:27 PM   #3
nubux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
Search Sony Parts and Accessories.

Enter A1579345A in search field and search by Part Number
(There seems to be none in stock to order but they must be available somewhere.)

Not much help I'm afraid except I've found the original part number. I'm not sure if anyone makes knock-off batteries at a cheaper price. I'm not sure if the batteries are interchangeable between models.

I would call a Sony repair depot and ask if they can supply a battery.

*edit*
A search found one other supplier of part A1579345A. Their site says they will ship within, and almost anywhere outside, the US. I do not know the reputation/reliability of this company.
Thank you Wetdogeared. I will look into this supplier.

Does anyone else have any idea to wake up a 100% dead Sony PRS-700 reader???
Old 04-22-2010, 11:20 AM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
The PSP charger should work. If it doesn't light up the red light, either the charger or the device (or LED) is broken. I _think_ that even if the battery is dead, it should still work from AC power, so probably it's not the battery. Since you say you tried charging it overnight, it's likely not the LED either. So maybe try another charger just in case.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:56 AM   #5
nubux

igorsk,

I have a sony psp as well, and it charges the psp just fine, but it doesn't charge the prs-700. No light, no sounds, no indication of light. So, it is not the psp charger... So does this mean that if it does not charge the prs-700, and the PRS-700 does not wake up with the psp charger plugged in, then is there anything I can do with the prs-700? I opened it up using your guide, but I did not see anything that jumps out as being loose or broken. Any thoughts? I appreciate your time and knowledge.
Advert