Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-11-2010, 01:17 PM   #1
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
An informed opinion piece on eBook readers

We all know and despise those countless articles on eBook readers written by journalists who haven't used one for more than 10 minutes and then proceeds to mumble on about how much better real-turn-the-page-smell-the-glue-read-in-the-bath books are.

Wired.com's Geekdad has an excellent article that shoes how it actually needs to be done. Six Months With An eBook Reader: Yeah or Meh?

Quote:
It’s nearly six months since I first took the plunge and entered the world of e-Books and e-Book readers in a big way. As an avid reader and book collector (some would say hoarder), has the digital plunge been a game changer, or just another meh experience?
It's great to read an article from someone that actually knows what's going on and who is an actual person who actually enjoys reading!

Last edited by Crusader; 03-11-2010 at 01:48 PM.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:47 PM   #2
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Interesting read.

My biggest gripe about e-ink is the need for a bright light source on the screen.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2010, 01:58 PM   #3
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
Interesting read.

My biggest gripe about e-ink is the need for a bright light source on the screen.
That bothered me too, until I put in a 3 way light bulb.
HorridRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 02:24 PM   #4
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorridRedDog View Post
That bothered me too, until I put in a 3 way light bulb.
Too funny .
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:33 PM   #5
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
Too funny .
No, just droll.

And consistent. From back on FEb. 10th

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorridRedDog View Post
On the other hand I wanted to return my 600 when I got it home. It was VERY clear in the store (multiple overhead light sources). But I like to recline, feet up, and read with a 60 watt floor lamp behind and to the right.

The contrast (no pun) between the store lighting and what I use at home were VERY striking.
A 3 way bulb did solve my problem.
HorridRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2010, 07:09 PM   #6
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Thanks for posting this -- very interesting.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:10 PM   #7
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3, DXG, Fire · iPad, iPod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
We all know and despise those countless articles on eBook readers written by journalists who haven't used one for more than 10 minutes and then proceeds to mumble on about how much better real-turn-the-page-smell-the-glue-read-in-the-bath books are.
Or by people you can tell don't actually, you know, read books aside from a talked-about bestseller every other year or so. And they feel competent to weigh judgment on the issue of p-book vs ebook, invariably favoring the former. (edit: unless it's a multifunction device like the iPad which they'll only ever use for the non-reading functions, therefore better than an e-reader that's only for the books they never read.)

Nice article. Thanks for the link.

Last edited by Dellaster; 03-11-2010 at 08:20 PM. Reason: added thought
Dellaster is offline   Reply With Quote