Notices

Old 03-09-2010, 02:18 PM   #1
al35
Enthusiast
al35 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505
eBook + audiobook management soft

Hello!

Is there a good software out there designed for managing ebooks, but that also has support for audiobooks? I don't need anything fancy for audiobooks, just some basic catalog functions. Calibre seems to be very nice for ebooks, but can it handle audio at all?
al35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:46 AM   #2
Waba
Groupie
Waba has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Waba has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Waba has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Waba has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, PRS-350/950, HP Touchpad, Kindle Keyboard
Hm... well... You could just add the book as an ebook, and tag it 'AUDIOBOOK' then have the associated audiofiles in the Calibre managed folder.

So all you would have to do would be click the "O" to Open to folder, then double click the m3u, or playlist file to open the audiobook.

Damn, I think I might have convinced myself to do this as well... Just seems to make more sense than using the audio program for managing audiobooks.
Waba is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2010, 11:57 AM   #3
al35
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waba View Post
Hm... well... You could just add the book as an ebook, and tag it 'AUDIOBOOK' then have the associated audiofiles in the Calibre managed folder.
You mean, attach the audiobook as a zip archive? It doesn't seem possible to add a folder in Calibre, only a zip file. Or am I wrong? Zip's aren't very convenient...
Old 03-19-2010, 03:33 PM   #4
Waba
Groupie
Waba has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Waba has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Waba has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Waba has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, PRS-350/950, HP Touchpad, Kindle Keyboard
No you would have to move the audio files manually into the folder that Calibre generates for ebooks.

Not a huge hassle, but not automated either.
Waba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 05:17 PM   #5
al35
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waba View Post
No you would have to move the audio files manually into the folder that Calibre generates for ebooks.

Not a huge hassle, but not automated either.
Thanks, I'll try that.
You're right, using Calibre for audiobooks makes more sense than storing audiobooks in the music collection. It would be great if Calibre had some audio-specific functions: adding metadata (tags, covers) to the mp3 headers, automatically tagging (and maybe highlighting) ebook entry when audio is available... I wonder if many people would be interested in such functions.
Advert