Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-23-2010, 01:40 PM   #1
anabelee
Zealot
anabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enough

Device: Woxter Scriba 150, pocketbook 360
5"

Hi,

I need some advice. I'm going to make a gift, and by measures and portability, I doubt between the pockebook 360 and the opus from cybook.
I read about them in the matrix, but still doubting.
I Spain, the pocketbook si almost unknown, so you are the only reference to me.

Thank you in advance, and excuse my poor english, is not my native language.
anabelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:00 PM   #2
Ulli
(-:
Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.

Device: PocketBook 360°,302
Are there any have-to's for your reader ?

In my opinion the cybook is a littler smarter.
The PocketBook is ruff, with the protection for the front.
Ulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2010, 03:24 PM   #3
anabelee
Zealot
anabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enough

In fact, only the measure. It's for a person who don't care about bags, so this devices are perfect to pocket.
Excuse me, but what it means that pocketbook is ruff?

Well, I edited this to explain what I care about:

Capacity and folder Support : Not thinking about putting the whole library on it, only a few books. I would like sd cards admitted, but i think the two models I'm mentioning have it.

Dictionary: could be interesting having a english-spanish dictionary.

Note Taking : As a extra, not important.

Quick booting and page turning, if possible.

Last edited by anabelee; 02-24-2010 at 01:49 AM. Reason: Adding more information
Old 02-23-2010, 03:26 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The Opus has the better mobile Adobe Digital Editions implementation for ePub, but the PocketBook is better for PDFs and supports many more ebook formats and also supports dictionary lookup. Overall, I would go for the PocketBook because of its hard cover and its richer feature set. Note that PocketBook recently bought Netronix (PocketBook and Netronix to merge as PocketBook Global), so they are now the "third biggest manufacturer of E-Ink readers in the world" and actually make the hardware for the Opus.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:40 PM   #5
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Congrats on a great thread title. I never would have thought two characters would so perfectly capture what's in the thread!
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2010, 03:59 PM   #6
anabelee
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The Opus has the better mobile Adobe Digital Editions implementation for ePub, but the PocketBook is better for PDFs and supports many more ebook formats and also supports dictionary lookup. Overall, I would go for the PocketBook because of its hard cover and its richer feature set. Note that PocketBook recently bought Netronix (PocketBook and Netronix to merge as PocketBook Global), so they are now the "third biggest manufacturer of E-Ink readers in the world" and actually make the hardware for the Opus.
thank you for the information, you have made me think about the formats, I almost forgot.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:01 PM   #7
anabelee
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
Congrats on a great thread title. I never would have thought two characters would so perfectly capture what's in the thread!
Wow, I did not think that a title so simple could deserve an answer...
Old 02-23-2010, 05:24 PM   #8
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Anabelee, I must welcome you to the idea that you want to purchase a Pocketbook 360. I'm quite content with it after my first day with it. I'm currently working in a report about the device (which was one of the conditions for me to have it on discount) and aside of that, I'm translating the Pocketbook's firmware to Spanish, which I hope to publish soon.

(I'll repeat it in Spanish for the benefit of Anabel, I hope this doesn't go against language rules: I'll mark it in spoiler tags)

Spoiler:
Está muy bien que te hayas interesado por el PB 360, yo lo he tenido un día y estoy muy contento con él como lector. Ahora mismo estoy trabajando en un informe sobre él (la condición que me pusieron para darme un jugoso descuento) y además, estoy traduciendo el Firmware al español. Espero tenerla pronto a disposición, y la verás colgada en el foro de Pocketbook.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 01:38 AM   #9
anabelee
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
Anabelee, I must welcome you to the idea that you want to purchase a Pocketbook 360. I'm quite content with it after my first day with it. I'm currently working in a report about the device (which was one of the conditions for me to have it on discount) and aside of that, I'm translating the Pocketbook's firmware to Spanish, which I hope to publish soon.

(I'll repeat it in Spanish for the benefit of Anabel, I hope this doesn't go against language rules: I'll mark it in spoiler tags)

Spoiler:
Está muy bien que te hayas interesado por el PB 360, yo lo he tenido un día y estoy muy contento con él como lector. Ahora mismo estoy trabajando en un informe sobre él (la condición que me pusieron para darme un jugoso descuento) y además, estoy traduciendo el Firmware al español. Espero tenerla pronto a disposición, y la verás colgada en el foro de Pocketbook.
It could be a great help, I'll wait for your review.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:50 AM   #10
anabelee
Zealot

Any of those readers mentioned have stand by button?
Old 02-24-2010, 03:45 AM   #11
Geppetto
Addict
Geppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS600, Cybook, Hanvon N520, Sony PRS300, Onyx Boox, Kindle 3
In fact, Cybook and Pocketbook are the same hardware (Netronix).

If I were you, I'd buy a Papyre 5.1. In my opinion, Hanlin devices are definitely better than Netronix. Best alternative: Sony PRS300.
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:40 AM   #12
anabelee
Zealot

Why are better Hanlin that Netronix? I have to say that in spanish forums, people say that Hanlins are re-booting often, and it's not very fast, unless you install openinkpot.
And it looks to have problems with "syllabification".

Last edited by anabelee; 02-24-2010 at 04:42 AM. Reason: added more
Old 02-24-2010, 05:22 AM   #13
Forkosigan
Wizard
Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.

Device: Pocketbook Touch (622)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geppetto View Post

If I were you, I'd buy a Papyre 5.1. In my opinion, Hanlin devices are definitely better than Netronix. Best alternative: Sony PRS300.
But very different Software. What Hanlin better? We Hanlin V3 eternal problem of lock-ups, and compared with Netronix devices, it is very slow.
Forkosigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 05:45 AM   #14
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geppetto View Post

I have to disagree greatly on that one. I had a sony 300 as well as an opus, hated the 300, was not too hot on the opus. The 300 can nothing, apart from reading epubs, the opus cannot read mobi or prc files.

I love the versatility of the pb 360, the fact that it is an open system, the apps being dev, the fact that it reads epub as well as mobi or prc, the way it handles my pdfs, the way I can set the functions I want on the different buttons, or set the menu, or set the fonts I want, or the dictionaries, or or or.... the list is long! Most of it, I like the great, and I mean really great pr and communication as well as the customer service.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:07 AM   #15
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Have to agree with Aceflor - I love my PB 360 and it is an excellent 5" device. I mostly use it for travelling because of its portable size and hard cover (included) and the battery life after 2-3 initial charges is fantastic.

It also has the best firmware on it I've encountered. Being able to move files between the micro sd card and main memory, rename, delete and mark files as read. I just dump my entire Calibre library on it and don't need to go anywhere near a computer with it until it's time for a recharge weeks later.

And it reads so many different file types which means conversion isn't necessary.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote