Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 02-23-2010, 10:20 AM   #1
KindleMan
Enthusiast
KindleMan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Received the DR-800, some questions..

Received the DR-800 yesterday and as mentioned the battery was dead, needed to hold the power button for more than 5 seconds to get it to start charging. It's been plugged in for 12 hours and still not fully charged. The Access Door on the back is missing it's screw, I plan on calling iRex about it later..

I wanted to ask others who have one, does the end of the Flipbar next to the menu button stick up a bit above the menu bar, or is flush? My Flipbar sticks up a bit and it's bugging me!

Over all impressions... The Pros. The screen is fantastic! The Cons... I can not believe that there is not a silo, or place for the stylus. There is no way that each and every stylus included with a DR-800 will not disappear in the first 3 months. The slip cover is useless. It's so tight that it is actually work trying to get the DR-800 in or out. It shouldn't be that hard. No "Go-to-Page" feature, downloaded a book from my Barnes&Noble account and it didn't have a Table of Contents so no way to even get close to a desired page with out starting at the beginning.

That's it for now, looking forward to learning from others and I appreciate the activity here on MobileRead it helps!

KindleMan
KindleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:07 AM   #2
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
My flip bar is the same height as the menu button. The case is very tight on first use, but I've noticed mine loosening up a bit already. It's now much easier to get in and out. It still fits very snugly, but is much easier to use than it was on Friday when I first received it. In regards to charging my light never actually switched to green and it didn't seem to reach 100% either, stayed at around 97%. I charged it again yesterday and it did go to 100%, but the light still stayed amber. I believe I read somewhere else that it might be a known issue. Overall I've been very pleased with the device so far.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2010, 11:32 AM   #3
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
The light never going green is a known issue... a developer confirmed in in mgmeuller's big thread, and commented a fix will be in the next firmware release (whenever that arrives).

The slip cover has a small slot on the back for the stylus, but I'd sure like a proper cover more.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:15 PM   #4
MobileTechReview
eBook Reader Junkie
MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
On mine, the flip bar and menu bar are the same height. Missing a screw? Not nice

The charging light went off on mine after 15 hours and a few plugs/unplugs. Certainly a bug.

The books I've downloaded from B&N so far have had TOCs. But there is no go to page function nor a search for word function in PDB books from B&N/eReader.
MobileTechReview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:58 PM   #5
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by KindleMan View Post
Received the DR-800 yesterday and as mentioned the battery was dead, needed to hold the power button for more than 5 seconds to get it to start charging. It's been plugged in for 12 hours and still not fully charged. The Access Door on the back is missing it's screw, I plan on calling iRex about it later..

I wanted to ask others who have one, does the end of the Flipbar next to the menu button stick up a bit above the menu bar, or is flush? My Flipbar sticks up a bit and it's bugging me!

Over all impressions... The Pros. The screen is fantastic! The Cons... I can not believe that there is not a silo, or place for the stylus. There is no way that each and every stylus included with a DR-800 will not disappear in the first 3 months. The slip cover is useless. It's so tight that it is actually work trying to get the DR-800 in or out. It shouldn't be that hard. No "Go-to-Page" feature, downloaded a book from my Barnes&Noble account and it didn't have a Table of Contents so no way to even get close to a desired page with out starting at the beginning.

That's it for now, looking forward to learning from others and I appreciate the activity here on MobileRead it helps!

KindleMan
Same with me. The flipbar doesn't fit perfectly. Over all, the build quality could be a bit better. But I have that with about 1/3rd of my readers: Cheap and cheaper...
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2010, 01:16 PM   #6
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:

The flipbar and the menu button look flush but it feels like there is a ridge between them, but this is probably because there is a small gap between the two.

Quote:
The slip cover is useless. It's so tight that it is actually work trying to get the DR-800 in or out. It shouldn't be that hard.
KindleMan
Agree the slip cover is pretty much useless. but on the European version there are two "pen holders", basically tubes of the same vinyl that the case is made out of that provide a relatively safe home for the stylus.

I'm not sure, but it maybe that they have also have supplied a different stylus on the European version - the one I got seems to be the Advanced Stylus, but the US one that I saw in the video review posted by a member here looked more like what IREX calls the Replacement Stylus on their web web site.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:35 PM   #7
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
The flipbar and the menu button look flush but it feels like there is a ridge between them, but this is probably because there is a small gap between the two.
I have the small gap as well, but I think I figured out why.

There is a small click-button under the lower end of the flip bar for the 'press' action. Since there isn't one near the top as well, you get a slight lift on one side and not the other if they aren't perfectly even where they meet the circuit board.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:39 PM   #8
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:

Between the missing screw and your flipbar being misaligned, I'd think about returning it. It would be kind of a pain, but you don't know if there is anything else "wrong" with this unit that might bite you in the future. The screw is probably not too big of a deal, but the flipbar not being put in right sounds like an assembly problem.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:16 PM   #9
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Between the missing screw and your flipbar being misaligned, I'd think about returning it. It would be kind of a pain, but you don't know if there is anything else "wrong" with this unit that might bite you in the future. The screw is probably not too big of a deal, but the flipbar not being put in right sounds like an assembly problem.
I would second that. It might be nothing, but you just paid good money for the device and should have one that not only works, but is good cosmetically as well. Somebody else mentioned about the build quality being a little weak, but I've actually found mine to be very good. Everything is well aligned with good tolerances and absolutely no flexing or squeaking.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:41 PM   #10
KindleMan
Enthusiast
KindleMan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
We are all on the same wavelength! I returned the DR-800 to a local Best Buy today, they were very helpful. The screen is the best I've seen so far (I've had 2 Sonys, 2 Kindles and a nook), but it doesn't make up for the fact that there isn't a silo for the stylus and for me that's a problem. I didn't realize that you are required to use the supplied stylus to activate the touch screen. I figured that if I lost the stylus, I could use another PDA type stylus or even my finger to activate the screen. I didn't do a good job of researching this eReader!

Anyways, I've decided not to buy another DR-800 and will wait to see what develops in the eReader world of the future. The feature difference between the nook/Kindle and the DR-800 do not justify the $150.00 difference in price.

KindleMan
KindleMan is offline   Reply With Quote