Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-15-2010, 06:27 AM   #1
Rojofo
Zealot
Rojofo began at the beginning.

Device: none
Smile 5" & 6" page simulation?

Hi all, and once again thanks for the advice that you give us newbies!

I'm thinking of buying a 5" display, given the cost of 6" displays!

To get an idea of the use of a 5" device, I am thinking of printing on paper a number of pages in the 5" format to see if I find it comfortable to read.
So what I would like to know is the exact size of a 5" screen (height and width, preferably in millimetres, but I can convert from inches ). I would then like to know approximately how many typical lines per page I could get or the number of characters per page in typical font sizes (say times 9 or 10, but perhaps other sizes and fonts would be more appropriate??).
I don't know if these characteristics vary from one device to another but I'm considering the EZ reader pro 5" or perhaps the Sony300.

Is this a ridiculous idea or unfeasable?

If I could have the same information for a 6" device (sony PRS505 for example) I could compare them.

Thank you in advance, Rojofo.
Rojofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:39 AM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
For my PDF documents, I use 75mm by 97mm. I lose about 3mm on the top and bottom because nothing renders there... At least, not on PDF. I believe the height is 10.5cm (or about).

(oh, I have a BeBook Mini, so the 5")
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2010, 08:16 AM   #3
Rojofo
Zealot
Rojofo began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thank you Sweetpea. Have you any idea of the font size that I could reasonably use, or should I just try and see? Any idea of the number of lines per page? Thanks once again for taking the time to reply. Rojofo.
Rojofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:27 AM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Size is relative. I don't know how well your eyes are. But this is a page from my (custom made) PDF book:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Taliesin.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	45617  
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:32 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
For scans of the Pocket Pro using a large font size, see Font Sizes on Pocket Pro. These are now out of date, because the number of font sizes has increased to 9, but it give you an idea of the size.

For a range of sizes, see Font Sizes, which is from 2007, but shows all six sizes on a Kindle 1.

The exact sizes of the screens are (76 × 102mm) and (90 × 120mm), but there are typically margins and menu bars to allow for.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2010, 11:36 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You really should also consider the Pocketbook 360 if you're looking at 5" devices. IMHO, it's the best 5" reader currently available.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote