Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 08-15-2006, 10:57 AM   #1
Drops
Connoisseur
Drops began at the beginning.

Testing v2.6 now, works great. The PDF pre rendering improves the speed a lot.
Drops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 10:59 AM   #2
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
So far I have to rank the Sony Librie as better than the iLiad for reading experience. I'm hoping for some ground to made up on the Librie with the 2.6 release that is almost done downloading here.

So long 2.5, I hardly got to know ye!
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2006, 11:01 AM   #3
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Problems and Fixes in Software 2.6

Software 2.6 is out now (really, just downloading it).

Post any new problems and fixes in here.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 11:05 AM   #4
stinky ox
Connoisseur
stinky ox began at the beginning.

Device: samsung q1, iLiad
Started download. Stuck at 3% downloaded. Eventually timed out with an icon indicating a broken tar.gz file.

Started download again. Went almost immediately to 30% and seemed to download to 100% pretty fast, but didn't actually do anything when it finished.

Then it started downloading again, and it's stuck at 5%.

So far pretty normal for iRex then...
stinky ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 11:14 AM   #5
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
All done, is it my imagination or does 2.6 boot a little faster?

Still no MAC display for the WLAN anywhere I can find it.

PDF paging is much faster, the Sony Librie is only 50% faster now. Much more usable than 2.5.

The "Finder" UI has this new Startrek style scanner thingy at the bottom when you open a book.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2006, 11:17 AM   #6
emkay
Zealot
emkay began at the beginning.

HTML documents new functionality

In the email it said:

HTML

* Go to the last read page when re-opening any HTML document container.

This didn't work here. It also took a loooooong time to open a large HTML document (1.5MB) (it seemed to be reading the whole thing before opening it?).

Faster PDF page turns are nice. Will test wireless connectivity when I get home.

Mike

EDIT: Have I misunderstood this? I thought it would return to the last scrollpoint in a long html doc when reopening. I guess that wasn't what they meant. Not sure what a "container" is - just a folder? I'd better do some testing.

Last edited by emkay; 08-15-2006 at 11:25 AM. Reason: UPDATE
emkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 11:17 AM   #7
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
OK.

I tried the software. Page-Truning from one to th next is a lot faster, truning back a page ist just as slow however...^^

The update worked flawlesly for me, but apparently some are having trouble...so everytihing is as usual...^^

the ceen seems a bit brighter (whiter) but that could be lighting. That's all so far...more will follow later
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 11:28 AM   #8
Calabahn
Calabahn began at the beginning.

Device: V3I
Yes it does seem that 2.6 boots faster.
And Yay, WEP now works.
I got my wireless MAC address from my DHCP reservation page.

Now to test battery life.
Calabahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 11:32 AM   #9
harryo
Enthusiast
harryo began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Tungsten TX / Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
OK.

I tried the software. Page-Truning from one to th next is a lot faster, truning back a page ist just as slow however...^^
Strange. For me turning back a page is just as fast as turning to the next page.

I'd love it to be even faster, but I have a feeling they have it at the point where the only thing that's taking the time is actually refreshing the screen.

I still have a question re long HTML pages ... scroll bars are shown, but I have no idea how to make it actually scroll. I've tried clicking in the scrollbar, on the little arrows at the ends and on all of the hard keys, but nothing makes the page scroll.

Can someone enlighten me as to how to do the scrolling?
harryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 11:35 AM   #10
R2D2
Mad Scientist
R2D2 doesn't litterR2D2 doesn't litterR2D2 doesn't litter

Device: Zaurus, HTCMagician, iLiad
The process bar got even uglier...zooom....zooom....
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 11:38 AM   #11
harryo
Enthusiast
harryo began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Tungsten TX / Iliad
The keyboard icon seems to have been disabled when viewing PDFs now, so jumping to an arbitrary page number is definitely out now (I know it stopped working in 2.5, but I was hoping it was going to be re-enabled in 2.6).

If the iRex team is reading here ... please could we have some way to jump to an an arbitrary page?

Also, there still doesn't seem to be a way to go back after following a hyperlink in a PDF.

One other feature I'd love to see would be a way to jump to the first place in a document that contains a hyperlink ... my logic being that this would most likely be the start of the contents pages, which is a good place to be able to come back to when exploring reference material, which is what most of my documents are.
harryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 11:41 AM   #12
mattimatt
Vits er þörf
mattimatt began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Bookeen Gen3, iLiad
The iLiad is way cool and the 2.6 is a great improvement in page turning PDF wise. I’m not so sure about long html documents. I tried one yesterday (when I received the iLiad) and it was very slow and not really working well.

I’m going to stick to PDF’s for now and see what future upgrades bring.
mattimatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 11:54 AM   #13
Tscherno
iLiad Geek
Tscherno began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad #505; Sony T1, Amazon Paperwhite first Gen & sec is coming!
Disabling the Sound still not working
Tscherno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 12:01 PM   #14
ath
Addict
ath doesn't litterath doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, Sony PRS-505, Kindle Paperwhite & Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryo
One other feature I'd love to see would be a way to jump to the first place in a document that contains a hyperlink ... my logic being that this would most likely be the start of the contents pages, which is a good place to be able to come back to when exploring reference material, which is what most of my documents are.
I don't think that's a good idea: it doesn't do the right thing. TOC usually comes after book prelims, so any earlier link would be found. That means: links on title page verso (typically URL to publisher), link to author's home page (often on these pre-title pages with 'other books by Xxxx'), and perhaps even in other prelim matter, such as introduction written by someone else than the author. Too much can go wrong here, and when it fails the ordinary user is more or less lost. (Restricting it only to links within the document would be technically possible, but too much of a hack.)

The right thing here is for the PDF document to include bookmarks, and for the PDF reader to display those bookmarks.
ath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 12:09 PM   #15
b_k
Übernerd
b_k is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay
In the email it said:

HTML

* Go to the last read page when re-opening any HTML document container.

This didn't work here. It also took a loooooong time to open a large HTML document (1.5MB) (it seemed to be reading the whole thing before opening it?).

EDIT: Have I misunderstood this? I thought it would return to the last scrollpoint in a long html doc when reopening. I guess that wasn't what they meant. Not sure what a "container" is - just a folder? I'd better do some testing.
Read the iRex document about creating content.
A container is simply a folder with a special "manifest.xml". This controls the page-bar and it stores the path of the last read file there. They recommend to split big documents into different HTML files and setup a "manifest.xml".
One thing that bugs me: I setup a container of 12 HMTL pages, which are not bigger than the screen. But i have to flip pages with the stylus, the flip-bar doesn't work.
b_k is offline   Reply With Quote