Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 12:40 PM   #1
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
Suddenly uneasy about Apple and the Ipad

Note from Moderators: This link leads to a parody website, which this poster has now realized.

I like portability. An ereader is great. I hope to buy a MID (Mobile Internet Device) this year.

An ereader that keeps track of my reading, like the Nook, Kindle, etc, doesn't bother me. Who cares about me? There are a lot weirder people out there than me. Really.

But then I come across this from Steve Jobs;
“Clearly, China is looking out for its citizens’ best interests by preventing them from accessing material the leaders don’t feel is appropriate,” Jobs’ statement says. “Sometimes, the wise men at the top know what’s best for everyone else and need to take a strong-handed approach.”

http://www.esarcasm.com/10701/apple-...re-with-china/

"Sometimes, the wise men at the top know what’s best for everyone else and need to take a strong-handed approach." WTF!

This from someone that I had respected?

I don't care what he was talking about, it doesn't matter. I don't want Bush, Obama, or any "leader" taking "a strong-handed approach" and deciding "what’s best for everyone else".

I will never be able to look at an Apple product again. Especially a product where Steve Jobs may decide that the "leader" knows what I should or shouldn't have access to.

I laughed at the threads here where people were concerned about privacy. Am I getting too old, too paranoid?

Last edited by nekokami; 02-07-2010 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Added disclaimer
Old 02-06-2010, 12:43 PM   #2
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
"Think Different" As long as it's the way I tell you to think.
Advert
Old 02-06-2010, 12:45 PM   #3
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
Wait...that story is on a site called "esarcasm" and labeled "The story you're about to read is not (entirely) true. It is, however, more accurate than most things on network television."

Or has this statement actually been verified?

Though, I still agree with: "Think Different" As long as it's the way I tell you to think.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:46 PM   #4
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorridRedDog View Post
I like portability. An ereader is great. I hope to buy a MID (Mobile Internet Device) this year.

An ereader that keeps track of my reading, like the Nook, Kindle, etc, doesn't bother me. Who cares about me? There are a lot weirder people out there than me. Really.

But then I come across this from Steve Jobs;
“Clearly, China is looking out for its citizens’ best interests by preventing them from accessing material the leaders don’t feel is appropriate,” Jobs’ statement says. “Sometimes, the wise men at the top know what’s best for everyone else and need to take a strong-handed approach.”

http://www.esarcasm.com/10701/apple-...re-with-china/

"Sometimes, the wise men at the top know what’s best for everyone else and need to take a strong-handed approach." WTF!

This from someone that I had respected?

I don't care what he was talking about, it doesn't matter. I don't want Bush, Obama, or any "leader" taking "a strong-handed approach" and deciding "what’s best for everyone else".

I will never be able to look at an Apple product again. Especially a product where Steve Jobs may decide that the "leader" knows what I should or shouldn't have access to.

I laughed at the threads here where people were concerned about privacy. Am I getting too old, too paranoid?
You do know that website is called eSarcasm, right?
And the section is called "Alternate Reality", and there's a truth disclaimer in the article.

Perhaps this article will help clarify their role:
Apple Building its Own iPad Killer

Last edited by LDBoblo; 02-06-2010 at 12:51 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:54 PM   #5
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Give Steve Jobs a break, he's exhausted after staying up all night designing the Apple Tablet.
Advert
Old 02-06-2010, 01:25 PM   #6
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
Total Bull

I should have checked out the story. All links in the story are to its' own website.

Sarcasm can be based in truth, but I can't find anything that substantiates this story. My fault.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:32 PM   #7
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
Awww, I so much liked the "Apple (dictator) CEO" ...
Old 02-06-2010, 03:01 PM   #8
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, Kindle app on the iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorridRedDog View Post
I should have checked out the story. All links in the story are to its' own website.

Sarcasm can be based in truth, but I can't find anything that substantiates this story. My fault.
Saw your headline on my RSS reader and was about to get the heavy artillery out! But you spotted the spoof - and drawn our attention to something funny. Nice work
Old 02-06-2010, 09:34 PM   #9
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I think you didn't know enough about Steve Jobs. Apple is what it is today because of his vision and "wise men at the top" attitude. He is a notorious micromanager and all their products have a "we know what is best for you" vibe. Mostly it works. That sort of statement, parody or not, is something I'd expect him to say.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:11 PM   #10
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Parody or not, is something I'd expect him to say.
He definitely would never say it out loud! But this perfectly reflects Jobs' thoughts and the philosophy Apple products are based on -- do it Apple's way. There is no "your" way. Apple decides what is right. Sometimes this does work out rather well, but it is the reason their products are not for everybody.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:17 PM   #11
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Please, you haters are just too much sometimes.... I mean really! Do you really live in a world that believes "it's on TV, so it must be true"....er....wait.... you are much to sophisticated for that...you went to a college and everything... so for you it's "it's on the internet, so it must be true".... wow.... just wow.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:21 PM   #12
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
Please, you haters are just too much sometimes.... I mean really! Do you really live in a world that believes "it's on TV, so it must be true"....er....wait.... you are much to sophisticated for that...you went to a college and everything... so for you it's "it's on the internet, so it must be true".... wow.... just wow.
Where was that coming from? Of course, the site is fake. It is a gross exaggeration, we know that. But there is that grain of truth in there, Jobs believes he knows what is best for you. And if you buy his products, that is what you have to accept.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:39 PM   #13
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Where was that coming from? Of course, the site is fake. It is a gross exaggeration, we know that. But there is that grain of truth in there, Jobs believes he knows what is best for you. And if you buy his products, that is what you have to accept.
I do not accept anything from Mr. Jobs..... I choose Windows (tried OSX, not for me), I choose iPhone (it is the best FOR ME), I choose Cubase for my music sequiencer (as opposed to Apple's Logic), I choose what works FOR ME. I may choose an iPad, only because the Dells, Acers, Sonys, HP's, and others can't seem to be inovative enough to produce a product that fit's with a huge segment of consumers. All the above companies will now copy and clone, but no one was stopping them from producing a product like the iPad, iPod touch, original iPod....etc..... I accept the fact that YOU realize the site is fake, but to tell me that because I have an iPhone i accept that Steve Jobs knows whats best for me is absurd and offensive.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:41 AM   #14
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
I am not sold on Apple either. Ever since Steve got the new liver (may it serve him well for many years!) things got a bit weird over there.
Engadget published a bit of a flash-back on Steve's comments on DRM from 2007:

Quote:
"Why would the big four music companies [ever] agree to let Apple and others distribute their music without using DRM systems to protect it? The simplest answer is because DRMs haven't worked, and may never work, to halt music piracy. ... Much of the concern over DRM systems has arisen in European countries. Perhaps those unhappy with the current situation should redirect their energies towards persuading the music companies to sell their music DRM-free. ... Convincing them to license their music to Apple and others DRM-free will create a truly interoperable music marketplace. Apple will embrace this wholeheartedly."
It doesn't look like Steve subscribes to the same philosophy when it comes to electronic books DRM.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:56 AM   #15
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
usually when I buy electronics I look at the technology and price, I really don't care what the ceo of the company thinks, does, or eats for lunch
Closed Thread