Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: In what direction do you think the next Kindle will go?
The Ultimate E-Reader Superkindle (focus is on ereading, but may incl. color, touch, etc.) 44 61.97%
The iPad-Only-Better Superkindle (the ultimate multi-purpose device) 3 4.23%
The Supercheapkindle (at $99 how could anyone resist?) 27 38.03%
Hey, maybe the iPad is the Superkindle (scrap the Kindle and focus on content for the iPad) 3 4.23%
The Superkindle Everywhere (scrap the Kindle and focus on content for any reader/device) 3 4.23%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-04-2010, 04:27 PM   #1
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Direction of the next Kindle?

The Technologizer has a nice article on the future direction of the next Kindle. My synopsis kind of sucks, so you should probably read the article before voting.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:38 PM   #2
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
My philosophy: Supercheap, disposable Kindle for the masses.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2010, 04:43 PM   #3
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
I think that there will be more than one "new" Kindle. A basic inexpensive model (which may actually be the existing K2 at a lower price), a touch-screen enabled version (and the existing DX staying as is for now).

The next (K4) generation will introduce color into one of more of the models.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:08 PM   #4
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I voted for the cheap kindle. It is the price that keeps me from getting one for my 12 year old...
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:56 PM   #5
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I don't think the next one will be super cheap. Cheaper, yes. But they must have a color screen to remain competitive with the touchscreen color devices (yes the iPad).

I'm sure those mirasol screens aren't that cheap to buy, so that will keep the Kindle price relatively stable. We might see a $400 Kindle DX 2, $200 Kindle 3.

I predict a color screen, slightly cheaper price point, models coming with 8 or 16gb and Amazon really promoting the heck out of magazine and newspaper subscriptions. It will be very popular and it will also be another nail in the coffin for print newspapers.

I hope the new Kindle isn't a touchscreen device. Dedicated e-readers don't need touch imo, generic devices with apps/games like the iPad do.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2010, 08:21 PM   #6
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
I want Amazon to concentrate on two versions of the Kindle, Supercheap *and* Ultimate!

Supercheap (and I'm talking retail price of $75 or less) would be fine for giving as gifts to kids and friends/family who're mostly into reading.

Ultimate would be for those who simply cannot function without 'everything-and-the-kitchen-sink' features.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:43 PM   #7
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
I want Amazon to concentrate on two versions of the Kindle, Supercheap *and* Ultimate!

Supercheap (and I'm talking retail price of $75 or less) would be fine for giving as gifts to kids and friends/family who're mostly into reading.

Ultimate would be for those who simply cannot function without 'everything-and-the-kitchen-sink' features.

Derek
I agree 100%! I'd like to see the 6" Kindle line stick to just being an ereader -- basic funtionality and make it CHEAP. The 10" line (or 11.5" line) could add all the bells and whistles -- color Mirasol screen, video, touch screen, games, 3g/4g, you name it.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:43 PM   #8
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I could see them doing a premium color Kindle and a cheap or even free economy Kindle. Now that the major publishers are going to force them to take a profit on the new releases, maybe they'll be able to make a free Kindle work. Of course, that's if enough people actually pay the higher prices.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:52 PM   #9
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I'm happy with my K2 and Sony's. I want CONTENT!

CHEAP CONTENT!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:16 PM   #10
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I want CONTENT!

CHEAP CONTENT!
With the way publishers are crying I dont think you will get it both ways
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:06 AM   #11
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I would like to see color, for my beautiful Calibre library, and all the book covers. Of course, for reading, black and white is fine.

Please, no touch screen. I love the little buttons-just a click, I only have to move 1 finger a 1/4".
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote