Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 01-27-2010, 08:52 PM   #1
gr8npwrfl
The Wizard of OZ
gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Jetbook Ipod Touch Wind Netbook
Success !!! Android on the Jetbook

I made a major breakthrough today !!

I got the signon screen up and running on the jetbook running Android 2.0 !

Now I have to figure how to get the multi-touch touchscreen working then we are styling.
I have no way to input commands to the jetbook at this time. I am digging into the usb driver for the dragonball processor that is used in the jetbook to see if I can turn on the USB host, If I can get that running I will be able to control HID devices like keyboards and mice.
gr8npwrfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:18 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Does the Jetbook have a touch screen or are you installing a touch screen onto the Jetbook casing? I thought it was all buttons.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2010, 09:20 PM   #3
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Wow, fantastic!
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:24 PM   #4
gr8npwrfl
The Wizard of OZ
gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

trying to find 5 inch clear touchscreen

No the jetbook does not have a touchscreen, I am looking for one like they install on the netbooks that has a serial controller. I am just having a hard time trying to find one.

This will allow me to run all the apps that are available for Android 2.1 !

If I have to I will write a button driver so that a touchscreen is not needed.

Instead of trying to do that on the jetbook. I will tack a series of buttons to a Beagleboard that has:

* Over 1,200 Dhrystone MIPS using the superscalar ARM Cortex-A8 with highly accurate branch prediction and 256KB L2 cache running at at 600MHz
* OpenGL© ES 2.0 capable 2D/3D graphics accelerator capable of rendering 10 million polygons per second
* HD video capable TMS320C64x+ DSP for versatile signal processing at up to 430MHz

Expansion capability and power options to satisfy your imagination:

* DVI-D for connecting digital computer monitors
* Compatibility with a huge collection of USB peripherals including hubs, keyboards, mice, WiFi, Bluetooth, web cameras, and much more
* MMC+/SD/SDIO interface for memory or wireless connectivity
* S-Video out for connecting your NTSC or PAL television or wearable visor
* Stereo audio in and out for a microphone and headphones or speakers

I already have Android running on this and by mimicking the jetbook keys I can debug the driver.

This would allow a functional version of Android to run along with:

FBreader
Mobireader
PDF reader
TXT reader

As well as more than 200 Free Android apps to run on the jetbook. There is even a webbrowser and email client already running on Android.

I have even contemplated taking the Beagle Board and hooking up two 5 inch REFLECTIVE color panels that hinge and fold to make a unit that folded would be the size of the jetbook and yet when opened would make a 10 inch screen that was 640 x 960 resolution.

But I want to get a version of Android that other people can tinker with here without modifying their jetbook.

A lot of work yet, but when I compiled the system and got the sign in screen on the jetbook it made my day.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:32 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I see. Great project. Good luck!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2010, 08:00 AM   #6
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Interesting idea!
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:36 PM   #7
youssef
youssef began at the beginning.

Device: JBL
if you can do this then it will be the end of the ectaco firmware,

did you try it on jetbook or jetbook lite ?
youssef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:25 PM   #8
gr8npwrfl
The Wizard of OZ

Working oin Jetbook

I am using an original jetbook.

I am going out to buy a jetbook lite so I have something to read. Also once I have the software done then I can test it on the lite.

I have a new jtag device coming so I can take apart their boot flash routine. I am only able to install Android because I use the jtag interface to flash my device. ( I did save their boot loader )

For other people to use my ported Android, I will have to fool the jetbook flash loader to loading my code and then flashing the device with Android.

This will make it so a person can flash Android to their JB or JBL and try it out. If they don' like it or want to send the unit in under warranty they would flash back to the original jetbook firmware. We can not expect Ectaco to support an OS they did not put on the unit.

I have done the same thing for years on my Motorola Cell phones, Iphones, Ipods, and routers and other devices.

Once we are on Android, we can use FBreader that is written in java, and you will be able to have any fonts, any size text, hyperlinks, soon annotation, and many other features. There are also already programs that do PDF files with reflow, text reader programs, read excel data files, and so many things we only wish we could do.

Porting Android is not really that hard, we could even end up with a Sony or Kindle that runs Android.

I am working on a prototype of the type of e-reader device I WANT.

I want an e-reader with a 10 inch screen that fits in my pocket.
Two of the COLOR jetbook 5 inch screens with a small seem down the middle that folds and protects the screens when not in use. That runs reflective TFT when you are reading books at 768 x 1024, but a backlight that can be turned on when you want to read in the evening. Multi-touch screen and USB Host. I can drive a printer, keyboad, mouse, graphic tablet, and even an external HDMI big screen tv. In book mode power needs to last 20 hours without the backlight. Wireless and ability to teather through the usb to your existing cell phone. Java enabled browser so I can go to ANY ebook site and download and read any ebook I want. Play videos and load any other Android app that other talented programmers come up with.

I already have two 4 inch color reflective tft screens and a 600Mhz cpu board that has USB host, HDMI output, 2d,3d video acceleration 128 meg of flash and 256 meg ram, SD/MMC card interface. Putting it together now.

Have to work out how to have two touch screens on two displays work at the same time as one unit so the screen can fold.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:57 PM   #9
Ron46
Zealot
Ron46 doesn't litterRon46 doesn't litter

Device: JetbookLite, EB-1150, PalmIIIXE
Wizard, Your Android project is really interesting. I wish you every success and will be one of the first to try it out.
Ron46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:22 PM   #10
SciFiGal777
SciFiGal777 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Formerly had Jetbook Lite
I also think this is interesting!
SciFiGal777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:54 PM   #11
mitchwah
Connoisseur
mitchwah is on a distinguished road

Device: Jetbook Lite, Ematic 7" eReader
Very interesting indeed! I wish you luck on your project.
mitchwah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:54 AM   #12
Begemot
Zealot
Begemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Sony DPT-S1, Kindle DX, iPad, Kobo Mini,H20,iRiver StoryHD
This is great news indeed, nice progress!

However, i have a question about CPU on Libre/jetbook.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/LCD_..._Reader_Matrix
says it is ARM9 200Mhz (ie ARM instruction set)

You say it is Dragonball, which implies 68000 instruction set, does it not?
EDIT: Answering my own question http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freescale_DragonBall
it appears newer versions of Dragonball are based on ARM9 and ARM11.

Obviously, since you got a custom image running on it, you are right.

Still, which exact CPU is it?

Last edited by Begemot; 03-23-2010 at 10:03 AM.
Begemot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:20 PM   #13
bob1xxx
Zealot
bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle k3 and k2 and White Aluratek Libre Pro
Talking Kwel very Kwel LoL

LOL crazy S%&T man LOL, next thing you know someone going to come up with a app to control predator drones with a jetbook LOL
bob1xxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 01:35 AM   #14
mazer
Book Enthusiast
mazer doesn't littermazer doesn't litter

Device: JetBook Lite
Any progress?

So there was never any progress on this?

It is a shame because this is so exciting
mazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:48 PM   #15
theinternetftw
theinternetftw began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook Lite
Yeah, any progress? This sounds fantastic, I'd happily crack my jetbook open and make a JTAG cable to see this.

Hell, if a wall was hit making the JB interface/run well with android, has there been enough progress on the boot front to run OpenInkpot?

Last edited by theinternetftw; 06-16-2010 at 10:52 PM.
theinternetftw is offline   Reply With Quote