Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 01-21-2010, 01:47 PM   #1
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
Alrighty then, now what?

I wasn't completely satisfied with soPDF (although I may try it again to see what some of the options do, couldn't get it to work at all this morning for some reason) to crop white margins. I want them to maintain there normal orientation so that *I* put it into landscape mode on my Touch, so when I make notes the controls are oriented normally. So I decided to ask at work if there were any computers around with Acrobat on them that I could use. Yep. Opened several PDF's (academic multi-column journal articles) and cropped them. One wouldn't let me crop (from a Japanese journal--presumably protected?). The others fine, lovely job of trimming the white margin as displayed on my computer monitor. Did "save as" and put them in a different folder with a different name. Moved them onto my reader. The margins are still displayed, same as they were when I had tried the articles as-is (note, I did remove the orignial copies from the device before moving the new "cropped" ones on).

I am sad--I think if all I do is trim that little white bit, the files will be perfectly readable in landscape with original formatting. You'd think if a free program (soPDF) was pretty close to workable for this task, the Real Thing (Acrobat) would be up for it.....

ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:30 PM   #2
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
The Acrobat crop feature is not a "true crop". It just pretends to remove the margins by inserting a command to tell Acrobat and Acrobat Reader to ignore the margins. Other PDF software can't interpret these commands. It's been a frustration of many. (You *can* use Acrobat do crop the margins in a much more complicated way: by selecting the part you want to keep, copying, and pasting as a new page, then deleting the original page. Very tedious process, especially since there no way to do all pages at once, as far as I know...)

With soPDF, to keep it it in portrait orientation and not divide the page, you just need to use one of the Fit Height or Fit Width options rahter than "Fix 2x..." options, as I mentioned in the other thread.

You might also try some of the other PDF cropping tools out there. Calibre comes with a command line tool called pdfmanipulate that can crop PDF margins. (It may be accessible through the GUI; not sure.) The LaTeX bundle comes with one called pdfcrop. For a more radical solution, take a look at PaperCrop.

Last edited by frabjous; 01-22-2010 at 11:33 PM.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2010, 12:15 AM   #3
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
(You *can* use Acrobat do crop the margins in a much more complicated way: by selecting the part you want to keep, copying, and pasting as a new page, then deleting the original page. Very tedious process, especially since there no way to do all pages at once, as far as I know...)
You can crop, then print to PDF with a new page size, but it's a bit of a hassle, and (sometimes?) switches to image instead of text.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:46 AM   #4
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
Well, glad I didn't pay for the stupid program if it can't easily do the SIMPLE task I want it to
ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote