Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 01-20-2010, 11:30 PM   #1
frank21721
frank21721 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Global
Hello from Thailand!

Thought Amazon would never ship Kindle to Thailand (the supposed reading average is 2 sentences per person per year...). I was so close to asking a friend to hand carry one from the Philippines. Hopefully, I'll receive my DX Global by tomorrow.

By the way, as Amazon collects a whopping 100+ dollars on the Import Fees Deposits (for Kindle DX Global), if you are importing a Kindle to Thailand, you should contact the importing agent to use the generic harmonization code used for computers so that your Kindle will be imported at the lowest tariff rate possible (perhaps even zero). At the moment I'm expected to pay a 10% tariff.
frank21721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:17 AM   #2
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Hi and welcome to MR. Wow...that seems like such a headache just to get a Kindle.

I wish you the best of luck on getting it tomorrow. *fingers crossed for ya*
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2010, 12:43 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi frank21721 and welcome to MobileRead. Be sure and let us know when you DX arrives
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:58 PM   #4
frank21721
frank21721 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Global
Thanks happy_terd and cassidym... My Kindle finally arrived today (half an hour ago).

And the trick worked! I paid no import tax at all (this is quite a feat for developing countries) and will be using the 109.66 dollars saved on ebooks instead... perhaps with some coffee to boot
frank21721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:28 PM   #5
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
good to hear that Frank. Welcome to MobileRead.

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2010, 12:32 AM   #6
Fuzzykinz
Lover of things fuzzeh
Fuzzykinz began at the beginning.

Device: BN nook, iPod touch second gen
Welcome to Mobileread! We hope you enjoy your stay :P
Fuzzykinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 01:53 AM   #7
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
Hi, frank21721, and welcome to the forum.

I pop over to Pattaya every few months. My Sony 505 goes with me and loves to relax on the beach or to pig out on waffles and icecream in Central Festival A&W. It stays tucked up in bed in the hotel when I go on a barcrawl though!

I only saw one other ebook reader in Pattaya on my Christmas/New Year trip - an old model Kindle in Royal Garden McDonalds.

I'll be back, with my Sony, in March. Hopefully the number of ebook readers will increase in Thailand. It's an ideal place for them: giving greater access to European language books and being so convenient for travellers to carry around.
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:20 PM   #8
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Welcome to MR! Glad you got your kindle OK
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote