Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-12-2010, 03:43 PM   #1
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
I come from the Land of Two Random Letters

I must be feeling especially grumpy this morning because I'm no longer going to hold my tongue. I want to have a rant about something that's been bugging me for a long long time -

It's folk who introduce themselves as "Hello, I'm from Everytown, ZX."

Now, I'm sure Americans will immediately know where ZX is. But as a non-American, first I have to figure out this poster is from the United States of America, but isn't saying that, because they assume everyone else on the forum is American. Then I have to figure out, with my limited knowledge of US geography, what American state the letters ZX stand for.

And don't get me started on folk who write such things as: "I'm from the good old Green Melon State. Yay the Hawks!". That leaves most non-Americans completely lost.

Could I make a plea - that everyone clearly name the town, state and country they come from. Don't assume we're all Americans. Don't assume we know what ZX means. Don't assume we know where the Green Melon State is and what sports the Hawks play.

On another forum I belong to, a country flag appears under the member's avatar and profile. This gives readers an idea of where the person is posting from, what is influencing their point of view, and what is influencing their use of the English language. And all those different flags are a constant reminder of how truly international that forum is.

Rant over.
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:51 PM   #2
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Good point, thanks for making it so lucidly.

My favourite example of this from just a few days ago was a new member who described their location as 'Mid Atlantic'. On being asked whether they were on a ship or something, they 'explained' that they meant Delmarva actually - so there you go, clear as mud to us non-Americans.

NB. Delmarva is apparently a peninsula in the US made up of Delaware, Maryland and Virginia - but, of course, you knew that.

By the way, I should point out that this is not meant to be a dig at that new member - it's easy to forget that not everybody will understand American (or English, or Australian, for that matter) abbreviations/colloquialisms.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2010, 04:00 PM   #3
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCR View Post
Now, I'm sure Americans will immediately know where ZX is.
Aha, I know what the problem is, the person that said they were from ZX was yanking your chain - there is no ZX...

Ok, sorry, I had too. You do bring up a good point though, I would have to assume that some of it is just plain inertia, while some of it is just not even realizing that someone could not know where ZX was.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:08 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Both HarryT and WDE pointed out to me that my use of "CA" could be interpreted multiple ways, so about a week ago I changed my location.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:11 PM   #5
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
I don't mind obscure abbreviations myself - I got over that in my teen years after watching some US TV shows, and then spending many fruitless hours looking for a place called Ellay in my atlas.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2010, 04:14 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I don't mind obscure abbreviations myself - I got over that in my teen years after watching some US TV shows, and then spending many fruitless hours looking for a place called Ellay in my atlas.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:15 PM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
hours looking for a place called Ellay in my atlas.
I just got it.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:56 PM   #8
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Now, I'm sure Americans will immediately know where ZX is. But as a non-American, first I have to figure out this poster is from the United States of America, but isn't saying that, because they assume everyone else on the forum is American. Then I have to figure out, with my limited knowledge of US geography, what American state the letters ZX stand for.
Not for nothing, but I don't see how this matters. If you don't know enough about the standard postal codes of US states, then would you know enough about the cultural differences between states to make this relevant?

As an example, everything I know about Australia was gathered by watching Paul Hogan, Yahoo Serious, the Wiggles and old Ozploitation films; it wouldn't make any difference to me if your profile said Melbourne, Perth or Brisbane. I'm not trying to be insensitive, just admitting that my own ignorance makes further detail unnecessary.

However, your point about Americentrism is correct and well-taken. I find myself often falling into those trappings, and continually try to remember how uncool that is.

Quote:
And don't get me started on folk who write such things as: "I'm from the good old Green Melon State. Yay the Hawks!". That leaves most non-Americans completely lost.
Honestly, I think that leaves most Americans lost as well.
clarknova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 05:03 PM   #9
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Not for nothing, but I don't see how this matters. If you don't know enough about the standard postal codes of US states, then would you know enough about the cultural differences between states to make this relevant?

Here I am after a day at work in snowy CF24. My partner tells me that CF37 is even snowier. And a daughter at NP20 claims the same.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 05:06 PM   #10
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Here I am after a day at work in snowy CF24. My partner tells me that CF37 is even snowier. And a daughter at NP20 claims the same.

No snow yet in B90 but it's probably on the way. Just hoping it's clear in NE1 next week when I have to drive up there (via LS14).
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 05:33 PM   #11
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Good point, RCR. So I have edited my profile details. But may I just say that this seems odd coming from someone who could say he was from "Melbourne, OZ" and everyone would have known exactly what you meant.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:27 PM   #12
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
*oops* our bad! my Olympic Penninsula is from the "other Washington". Washington State. other side of the country, bigger, prettier, cleaner and ever so much mor polite!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:57 PM   #13
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Quote:
You should have looked in Tim Powers' Dinner at Deviant's Palace instead. Although his Ellay is strangely altered...
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:04 PM   #14
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Lilac_jive from PA will consider your request.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:52 PM   #15
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
What's an Australia?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote