Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-08-2010, 02:19 PM   #1
anurag
Addict
anurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 1 and DX, iPhone
Free and open Spanish to English dictionary for Kindle

From http://www.evilgeniuschronicles.org/...sh-dictionary/

Quote:
Over the holidays, I took upon myself a challenge. I’ve been fiddling around creating a Mobipocket format dictionary consisting of Spanish words and their English translations. I wanted to be able to set it as my primary dictionary on the Kindle and then use it for on-demand word translation as I gut through trying to read documents in Spanish. A few months back, I couldn’t find any unencrypted ones for sale although now apparently some do exist.

This seemed straightforward enough, so I did a little Ruby scripting (getting a crash course in Unicode characters in the process). I found these lists of Spanish word frequencies and wrote a script to parse them into one word per line. I then wrote a script to take lists of words from STDIN, check to see if they existed in the map and if not look them up from various online sources and add it, and then save it as a YAML file. It was most of a week including false starts and do-overs to finally run the whole list against online translating tools. From there, I created another script to take the YAML file and rewrite it as a (roughly) alphabetically sorted and tab delimited text file. With that done, I used these already available tools to take that file and create files suitable for Mobipocket Creator.

The upshot is that this Kindle formatted Spanish to English translation dictionary is available now to download, for free. In order to use it, place it on your Kindle via USB or emailling it to your device. Go to “Home->Menu->Settings”, then “Menu->Change Primary Dictionary.” From that point, moving the cursor over a word will work like the dictionary used to with definitions, but with English translations of Spanish words.

Download link: http://media.libsyn.com/media/peakec...onary_V0.1.prc
anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:14 PM   #2
dougmwpsu
Enthusiast
dougmwpsu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I just installed this dictionary on my kindle and it's fantastic! The instant lookup is very comprehensive and includes all verb forms. There are a few small bugs, but they don't really affect the functionality. It's incredible that this is both free and generated by script from online sources. A well done to the author!

Actually I was so impressed that I registered just to show the love.
dougmwpsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2010, 05:31 PM   #3
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Fantastic! Thanks for posting!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:55 AM   #4
euriloco
euriloco began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Waiting for the English to Spanish Version.

Thank you
euriloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:37 PM   #5
rre
rre began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
I don't get this dictionary to work. Here are the steps I made

I copied the file to my kindle 3.
I changed the Primary Dictionary to this dictionary
I opened a spanish book
I moved my cursor to some word

No dictionary lookup, just the message: "Begin typing to create a note or click to start a highlight".

I tried several words
Did I missed something?
rre is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2010, 05:21 PM   #6
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
Not sure why I'm responding because I don't have an explanation because I've done exactly what you describe and the EGC dictionary is working perfectly for me.

Are you sure you have a good prc copy installed? The only thing (and I can't see that it would matter) is that I have all my dictionaries stored in one collection labeled "util".

I think you'll have to wait for an expert to come on board.
d
CharlieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:18 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rre View Post
I don't get this dictionary to work. Here are the steps I made

I copied the file to my kindle 3.
I changed the Primary Dictionary to this dictionary
I opened a spanish book
I moved my cursor to some word

No dictionary lookup, just the message: "Begin typing to create a note or click to start a highlight".

I tried several words
Did I missed something?
Maybe your Kindle had not finished indexing the dictionary. Without an index, it can't do lookups. Check index status by typing '.' enter/select on your Home screen. It will say 'No items' if indexing is finished.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:37 AM   #8
rre

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Maybe your Kindle had not finished indexing the dictionary. Without an index, it can't do lookups. Check index status by typing '.' enter/select on your Home screen. It will say 'No items' if indexing is finished.
Thanks for your response. I tried your suggestion, but no luck.
It says "No Items", so indexing should be finished.
I tried another (smaller) dictionary and this one is working, but doesn't contain much words.

Ok. Update. It is working now. I downloaded the dictionary again, using the second link in this forum. (I previously downloaded it from evilgeniuschronicles.org)

Last edited by rre; 10-21-2010 at 04:48 AM. Reason: solved
Old 10-21-2010, 04:51 AM   #9
rre

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBird View Post

Are you sure you have a good prc copy installed?
d
Thanks for your response. I downloaded the dictionary again, but this time I used the suggested Download link from media.libsyn.com.
And it's working now.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:07 PM   #10
kosik7910
kosik7910 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4
Big thanks for this dictionary - this stuff is very helpful in learning spanish language
kosik7910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:48 PM   #11
barba
Enthusiast
barba can shake the floor when laughingbarba can shake the floor when laughingbarba can shake the floor when laughingbarba can shake the floor when laughingbarba can shake the floor when laughingbarba can shake the floor when laughingbarba can shake the floor when laughingbarba can shake the floor when laughingbarba can shake the floor when laughingbarba can shake the floor when laughingbarba can shake the floor when laughing

Device: Kindle Touch, Paperwhite 1 and Nook HD+ rooted
English to Spanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by euriloco View Post
Waiting for the English to Spanish Version.

Thank you

Look in this link : http://eb.lv/dict/ for Free English to Spanish excellent dictionary.
barba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:55 PM   #12
puppychair123
puppychair123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Cool!

Oh my god, you're the man! This thing works like a charm! Totally saved me a whole f**kton of time! Greatly appreciated!
puppychair123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 04:01 PM   #13
scoot.at
FlapJack
scoot.at began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, Onyx Boox Note
It seems that link is dead.

Hi. I tried but couldn't get the dictionary. It seems that link is dead. Link doesn't work. Could you fix the link? Thank you.
scoot.at is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:27 PM   #14
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
The first link in the first post indicates that there is an updated version of the dictionary here.

(Also, please do not double post.)
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 02:35 AM   #15
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
@scoot.at: If your PW2 is registered with Amazon and you have the latest firmware (5.6.x or higher) installed, you can download the Oxford Spanish-English dictionary for free.

Login to your Amazon account and select the following:

Digital Contents > Manage Your Contents and Devices > Books > Dictionaries & User Guides > Oxford Spanish - English Dictionary > Deliver

(The dictionary will be automatically downloaded to your Kinde the next time you connect to your Amazon account via Wifi.)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote