Notices

Old 01-08-2010, 01:43 PM   #1
Xochipilli2012
Zealot
Xochipilli2012 began at the beginning.

Device: Red PRS-600, Slate Blue Astak EZReader Pocket Pro
Issues with EPUB and LRF versions of Calibre user manual 0.6.32

Greetings All,

I've been putting my new PRS-600 through its paces and have encountered a few oddities that I'm trying to sort out. Rather than throw them out all at once, I'll start different threads on each (unless recommended otherwise).

I am completely nOOb when it comes to eBook readers, except where older generation Palm devices are concerned. I only started using Calibre a couple weeks ago in anticipation of the PRS-600.

I downloaded a Calibre User Manual (not sure from where, it has Version 0.6.32 on the title page) with a filename: calibre User Manual - Kovid Goyal.epub. (Is there an "official" ebook version of the manual?) While this file can be read on Calibre's native reader, the PRS-600 doesn't seem to like it and gives a display error message (I can't quote the exact message as I removed the file from the reader--but some sort of triangle with an exclamation mark was involved).

I tried converting this epub file into an LRF using Calibre, thinking that the Sony readers preferred that format (I'm probably mistaken here--so please chime in...newbie-itis, right?). LRF opens in Calibre, but takes a long, long time. (Most things with Calibre take a longer-than-expected time--possibly due to my HP running XP being almost 5 years old... !)

Now, after transferring the converted LRF version and attempting to open it on the device, it is still "formatting" the document 30 minutes later. Well...no longer as I just did my first "reset" (I assume 'soft').

I'm sure I did something wrong along the way, so I would welcome any feedback or insight any of you might have.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions on what I might do to avoid this in the future.
Xochipilli2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:13 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The User Manual doesn't work on sony readers. It's got too much complex formatting for reader software to handle.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2010, 02:28 PM   #3
Xochipilli2012
Zealot
Xochipilli2012 began at the beginning.

Device: Red PRS-600, Slate Blue Astak EZReader Pocket Pro
Thanks Kovid! I just noticed that you explain this point in the manual itself (which I failed to note, obviously). I was just about to confess my error when I discovered your super-timely response.

Have a great day!

p.s. Albuquerque scenes figure prominently in the AMC series Breaking Bad. You Probably don't have time (or you've got too much good sense) for watching TV. But...it's a pretty interesting show. Peace out!
Xochipilli2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:28 PM   #4
CarolB
Connoisseur
CarolB began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 600
I've noticed that on our Dell running XP that's around 6 years old that Calibre runs REALLY slowly too. Takes forever and a day to do things sometimes!!!
CarolB is offline   Reply With Quote