Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Kindle Books

Notices

Old 12-26-2009, 06:41 PM   #1
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Joyce, James: Ulysses v1. 26Dec2009

Attachment 41969Previous e-book versions of this novel that I've looked at haven't given any indication that Joyce divided his novel into three books and 18 chapters. This follows Gutenburg's presentation of the book as just divided into three books. But as the following quote from Wikipedia indicates, the novel somewhat followed Homer's Odyssey:

"Structure
See also: Linati schema for Ulysses and Gilbert schema for Ulysses
Joyce divided Ulysses into eighteen chapters or "episodes". At first glance much of the book may appear unstructured and chaotic; Joyce once said that he had "put in so many enigmas and puzzles that it will keep the professors busy for centuries arguing over what I meant", which would earn the novel "immortality".[9] The two schemata which Stuart Gilbert and Herbert Gorman released after publication to defend Joyce from the obscenity accusations made the links to the Odyssey clear, and also explained the work's internal structure.

Every episode of Ulysses has a theme, technique, and correspondences between its characters and those of the Odyssey. The original text did not include these episode titles and the correspondences; instead, they originate from the Linati and Gilbert schema. Joyce referred to the episodes by their Homeric titles in his letters. He took the titles from Victor Bérard's two-volume Les Phéniciens et l’Odyssée which he consulted in 1918 in the Zentralbibliothek of Zürich. Bérard's book served as the source of Joyce's idiosyncratic rendering of some of the Homeric titles: 'Nausikaa', the 'Telemachia'."

Not having at least a break between chapters is very confusing and a lack of a complete toc makes it difficult to get around an ebook version of the novel. So I adopted the Linati and Gilbert Schema in naming each chapter and thus being able to provide a more user-friendly toc.

Jim

2/11/11-This new version tidies the book a bit. Italicized poetry tags are properly indented, I've made a jpeg out of the table in the Ithica chapter, and page numbering is supported in the Kindle 3 reader.

The previous version was downloaded 455 times.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: mobi Ulysses - Joyce_ James.mobi (1.14 MB, 1042 views)

Last edited by Strether; 02-11-2011 at 06:31 PM.
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:55 AM   #2
StevenXL
StevenXL began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Wow. Thank you!
StevenXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2010, 09:25 AM   #3
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Excellent .

I'm planning on reading this thing sometime this year.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:07 AM   #4
Mike Hobart
Enthusiast
Mike Hobart goes to eleven.Mike Hobart goes to eleven.Mike Hobart goes to eleven.Mike Hobart goes to eleven.Mike Hobart goes to eleven.Mike Hobart goes to eleven.Mike Hobart goes to eleven.Mike Hobart goes to eleven.Mike Hobart goes to eleven.Mike Hobart goes to eleven.Mike Hobart goes to eleven.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I'm interested in this since last night I saw Stephen Fry talking about the book with a Joyce expert -- I now know more about James Joyce than I ever did before.
Mike Hobart is offline   Reply With Quote