Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 12-24-2009, 12:33 PM   #1
norciom
ego Alpha et Omega
norciom has learned how to read e-booksnorciom has learned how to read e-booksnorciom has learned how to read e-booksnorciom has learned how to read e-booksnorciom has learned how to read e-booksnorciom has learned how to read e-booksnorciom has learned how to read e-books

Device: Pocketbook 360
Pocketbook 360. (And Linux). A review.

Had time to play, and mess up my reader.

Due to a lag in the file copy interface on my Ubuntu I've managed to corrupt the reader's file system. As a result it would mount as read only.

My fast and dirty fix was to use the pocketbook's Settings->Maintenance->Format internal memory

But that deletes all settings, dictionaries and applications so make a backup if you will ever need to do that.

Last edited by norciom; 12-24-2009 at 12:54 PM.
norciom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 12:46 PM   #2
norciom
ego Alpha et Omega
norciom has learned how to read e-booksnorciom has learned how to read e-booksnorciom has learned how to read e-booksnorciom has learned how to read e-booksnorciom has learned how to read e-booksnorciom has learned how to read e-booksnorciom has learned how to read e-books

Did not care much about the boot image feature of the pocketbook until I actually saw them. May the fellows forgive me, but the default images are... not very pretty.

And the cat image from http://www.greenreader.info/home/resources-en is.
But it's in the wrong format. You need BMP. In 16 shades. Or 4 bits.

To achieve that - on Linux - use Gimp's
Colors->Desaturate to make it black and white
Colors->Posterize, 4 levels and save as Windows Bitmap

Last edited by norciom; 12-24-2009 at 01:49 PM.
Advert
Old 12-24-2009, 12:53 PM   #3
norciom
ego Alpha et Omega

Ubuntu mounts my Pocketbook 360 as PocketBook101. And it mounts my Sony 505 as an audio player.

Calibre is in the software repository so bravo kovidgoyal.
Sigil is not but it is still a pain free installation.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:59 PM   #4
norciom
ego Alpha et Omega

If I look really, really closely I can see the pixels on my 6' Sony. No chance on the 5' Pocketbook.

To me that is more paper likeness.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:06 PM   #5
norciom
ego Alpha et Omega

I am irritated by the people that use .rar on the Pocketbook's download page.
They forced me to install unrar and use the terminal to extract the files.
Advert
Old 12-24-2009, 01:10 PM   #6
norciom
ego Alpha et Omega

All the press releases - and the mobileread wiki - have the weight of the device at about 150 g.

That is sans battery. All in all is 190 g. Says so on the box.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:40 PM   #7
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by norciom View Post
They forced me to install unrar and use the terminal to extract the files.
When you use Krusader for file manipulation it will happily unrar (and also unzip, ungzip, untar, unarj and un7zip) your files for you.
I only need to use commandline unrar when I have corrupted, or incomplete archive and I need to explicitly tell it not to delete files with bad CRC.

Last edited by kacir; 12-24-2009 at 05:51 PM.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 05:42 PM   #8
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
But that deletes all settings, dictionaries and applications so make a backup if you will ever need to do that.
If you need some files just send me a Private Message.
Does the formatting of internal storage restore the default /system/ folder with all subfolders and default config files?
Old 12-24-2009, 05:50 PM   #9
kacir
Wizard

Quote:
... But it's in the wrong format. You need BMP. In 16 shades. Or 4 bits.

To achieve that - on Linux - use Gimp's
Colors->Desaturate to make it black and white
Colors->Posterize, 4 levels and save as Windows Bitmap
Good to know.

I used convert command from Imagemagick package. All my pictures were manually cropped and/or resized to 800x600 or 600x800 pixels, then I made a script with such lines:
Code:
convert bgpic01.png -quantize GRAY +dither -colors 16 -rotate "-90>" bgpic01.bmp
Old 12-25-2009, 01:32 AM   #10
norciom
ego Alpha et Omega

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Does the formatting of internal storage restore the default /system/ folder with all subfolders and default config files?
No. Leaves a bank disk. Then one by one as needed by the system the folder structure is recreated. But empty, so you'll need your backup or the complete firmware file from http://pocketbook.com.ua/ and redo your settings.
Old 12-25-2009, 01:42 AM   #11
norciom
ego Alpha et Omega

The dictionary will fail for composed words like 'silver-blue'
Old 12-27-2009, 03:53 AM   #12
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Had time to play, and mess up my reader.

Due to a lag in the file copy interface on my Ubuntu I've managed to corrupt the reader's file system. As a result it would mount as read only.

My fast and dirty fix was to use the pocketbook's Settings->Maintenance->Format internal memory

For this (it is a known linux problem), just remount the device with --rw! No need to reformat your device!

Quote:
The dictionary will fail for composed words like 'silver-blue'
True! Just check silver, than blue!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 08:50 AM   #13
norciom
ego Alpha et Omega

If you dare to have a look at the Poketbook's SDK you will find 3 extra themes.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:00 AM   #14
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
If you dare to have a look at the Poketbook's SDK you will find 3 extra themes.
What are you referring to?
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 01:19 PM   #15
norciom
ego Alpha et Omega

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
What are you referring to?
See image. It's the Antik theme.

The zip has the files. Dump them in /themes
Attached Images
File Type: bmp scr0001.bmp (234.5 KB, 852 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip themes.zip (354.2 KB, 569 views)