Notices

Old 12-20-2009, 08:23 PM   #1
mobelby
Zealot
mobelby doesn't littermobelby doesn't littermobelby doesn't litter

Device: eeepc 901
How on earth do you get email working ?

Hi,

I've tried everything to get the email to the iphone working so I can sync for my bus journey reads on the iphone.

Background - I have a kindle outside US (not a global one) so I manually upload books. I understood that I could also upload a book to my iphone through the email route (I've tried .mobi and .txt). I've set up the email address and approved email senders on the manage your kindle page but whenever I send my kindle an email attachment nothing appears, no matter how many days I wait.

My question is - if your kindle is out of range but you have a working iphone kindle app will you not receive the emailed book ? Ie does it rely on you having both the kindle and the iphone within wireless range ?

Thanks
mobelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:28 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
You can only email to Kindles, not iPhones. The Kindle and iPhone will sync if they both have a wireless signal (Whispernet/Kindle and WiFi or 3G/iPhone).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2009, 09:55 PM   #3
mobelby
Zealot

Thanks Daffy,

Now I think I'm beginning to see some light.

Next question I have is that if I send a .mobi file to my free kindle address (ie ZZZ@free.kindle.com) will it be on the kindle account page and after I have uploaded it to the kindle via that page will I be able to sync it with an iphone ?

Thanks
Old 12-20-2009, 09:59 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobelby View Post
Thanks Daffy,

Now I think I'm beginning to see some light.

Next question I have is that if I send a .mobi file to my free kindle address (ie ZZZ@free.kindle.com) will it be on the kindle account page and after I have uploaded it to the kindle via that page will I be able to sync it with an iphone ?

Thanks
You will only be able to sync content purchased form Amazon and that is the only content you'll see on your Manage Your Kindle page. They don't keep the personal files you send to your Kindle on their servers, so they can't keep them in sync.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:28 PM   #5
mobelby
Zealot

That's cleared that one up.

For anyone else seeking to sync your reading of your own (non amazon purchased) books between your kindle and your iphone, you'll have to do it the manual way via the stanza app on the iphone (uploaded via calibre server).

In other words, you note the last words you've read on your kindle or iphone stanza and then search for those words on the other device.

This was important to me as I was reading an 1100 page book between the two devices. (Sometimes you just can't carry that kindle with you)
Advert