Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-17-2009, 04:22 AM   #1
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Lonely Planet Country Guides

I just noticed, that Amazon has the Lonely Planet country guides in AZW format.

I was just about to purchase one, but luckily, downloaded a sample, and even though it says AWZ, I couldn't remove the DRM from the sample. So, unless I am doing something wrong, these seem to be Topaz files.

Which means, I will not go near them (I actually have a couple of p-guides for the destination I am going to, and the PDF versions can be purchased from LP (and many are available elsewhere, including on darknet.) But since the Kindle sucks at PDF, I am not buying these, either.

Anyone knows if LP country guides are available elsewhere, as mobi, or EPUB?
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 06:11 AM   #2
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
According to Inkmesh, there's only Amazon.

I wonder how useful an e-guidebook can be? You'd need a reader with a search functionality for sure, but the Kindle must have that I guess. Would the maps be readable? My experience with images in books on the Cybook hasn't been very good, but maybe on another reader it would be different... or with a better formatted e-book.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2009, 06:11 PM   #3
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
According to Inkmesh, there's only Amazon.

I wonder how useful an e-guidebook can be? You'd need a reader with a search functionality for sure, but the Kindle must have that I guess....
Yeah, the Kindle has it, for mobi files (which is why I was excited to see LP available,) but not for PDFs, which is idiotic, to put it mildly. Almost as idiotic as this DRM boondoggle.

I suppose both LP and Amazon are losing a sale, since I am going to use the p-guides I already have. I will be carrying a small laptop, so I may actually get a "free" PDF guide from somewhere, just to try it.

Last edited by Sonist; 12-17-2009 at 06:17 PM.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 02:30 AM   #4
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
I suppose both LP and Amazon are losing a sale, since I am going to use the p-guides I already have. I will be carrying a small laptop, so I may actually get a "free" PDF guide from somewhere, just to try it.
The pdf download I have for Cairo is excellent; the one for Gaza is much less useful and quite dated.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote